speaker with two full range drivers

This may be a dumb idea, but being a newbie I will ask. Is there any merit to making a speaker with two identical full range drivers? I know the arrays are always matched to keep the same impedance and two drivers will cut the impedance by half. Will it help sound stage, separation, etc..... I am trying to build something here with some $$$ constraints and this is an off the cuff idea. Thanks for your replies in advance.
Salsero

One way to do it ,is to put the second driver to the backside the speaker.This way the baffle step correction is not needed,as many people are against the filters (not me;) ).

Also with 2 identical drivers the output level and power handling can be doubled.

Just to give you some ideas...

Salsero said:
This may be a dumb idea, but being a newbie I will ask. Is there any merit to making a speaker with two identical full range drivers? I know the arrays are always matched to keep the same impedance and two drivers will cut the impedance by half. Will it help sound stage, separation, etc..... I am trying to build something here with some $$$ constraints and this is an off the cuff idea. Thanks for your replies in advance.
Salsero

Look at the DIYParadise site.
Check the section on Coral speakers. There's a twin Flat 8 box, I think.

Doug

Using two FR drivers on the on the same side (front) of the cabinet is generally not recommended. Two (or more) sound sources will ceate comb-filter effects for frequencies above a few KHz. The effects will be a very uneven FR response for the higher frequencies if the listener is not exactly on axis.

Download the Baffle diffraction simulator The Edge to experiment with the effects of baffle shapes and multiple drivers.

A bi-pole solution should be OK, or alternatively using the second driver only for the lower frequencies (below the baffle step).

SveinB.

2 FR drivers, bipole are fine. 2 FR drivers, in separated sections of a cabinet, wired to run dipole are OK (assuming you design it properly) One on the front, one on the side, or firing upward is also OK. Two on the front panel? Bad idea, unless you roll the lower one off before lobing occurs. ROT: lobing will start from the point at which the centre-centre spacing between two drivers exceeds 1 wavelength. For example, in the case of the Fostex FF85K cabinet, I'd expect it to start at ~4.1KHz.

"Will it help sound stage, separation, etc..... I am trying to build something here with some $$$ constraints"

Have you considered open baffles with full range drivers? That will get you going, and if required bass helpers could be added at a later date.

It will provide a wide sound stage.

Geoff.

I've googled many times dual FR speaker design So far I believe I am the only one in the world employing dual FR in a speaker system.
And yes sounds super fantastic,
And no, no IM distortion, conflicting sound waves, nada.
Just pure high fidelity music.
My 1950's opera snever sound so LIVE,,as if I have a front row seat.
UNREAL
Dual tweeters is a must, a single tweeter wont work for me.

Open baffel is really the only way to use a FR.
I removed the back wall of the cabinet and now the sound is much much better.

I would then lean towards questioning the initial enclosure design.

And no, no IM distortion, conflicting sound waves, nada.
Just pure high fidelity music.
Are they separated by a crossover? I guarantee you will measure lobbing if not - at least moreso than any non-brickwall crossover speaker. Same goes for the horizontal tweeter arrangement.

Whether you enjoy this system or not is up to you and I take no issue there, but was it worth a 15 year thread necromancy?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Google Bandor ..

Aside to that, wd be quite fun to make an Alpair based .5 way using two small FRs.
One day.
I have the drivers almost finished and a cabinet (in my head), with 3 Alpair 6p in series with a big shunt C to LP 2 of them somewhere between the quarter-wave spacing and the theoretical BS(-3), In a 15 litre trapezoidal miniOnken (whih i plan on 3D printing).

dave

I've googled many times dual FR speaker design So far I believe I am the only one in the world employing dual FR in a speaker system.

You were repeatedly told there are hundreds (thousands) of such designs when you were last on this forum, with examples from both the commercial and DIY sector. So let us hear no more of this nonsense. I've produced dozens myself over the years, and I'm just one of the people to do so.

Since you've emerged again though, perhaps you'd like to explain to us why you spent several months lying your head off about this forum and its users over on Audiogon.

I would then lean towards questioning the initial enclosure design.
Paul (if that really is his name) has repeatedly stated before that he doesn't believe cabinet design makes any difference at all to performance, with offensive comments about people who do know what they are doing. Or they would be offensive if they weren't so ridiculous as to be extremely amusing, making him good for a wry yuk or two if nothing else. His previous box was a loosly nailed-together few bits of lumber, with a random hole or two hacked into it, the driver mounted without sealing and usually via only a couple of screws rather than all the mounting points. Apparently his sage understanding about cabinet & baffle design wasn't quite as sage as he possibly thought since he has now apparently decided it does make a difference after all and prefers a rather compact dipole. The inconsistency is consistent with the previous trainwreck, so look forward to this undead thread continuing in much the same, er, 'light'. A stake might be better, but possibly less entertaining. ;)

Last edited: