How about a 3 inch reference project? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2007, 04:12 PM   #1
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How about a 3 inch reference project?

Would anyone besides myself be interested in seeing a reference project for a 3 inch full range driver? It could be based around the W3-871s or HiVi B3s or something else if there's a better 3 incher out there.

Ideally I'd like to see both a bookshelf and floorstanding design.
Old 14th April 2007, 04:34 PM   #2
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: How about a 3 inch reference project?

Quote:
Originally posted by type
Would anyone besides myself be interested in seeing a reference project for a 3 inch full range driver? It could be based around the W3-871s or HiVi B3s or something else if there's a better 3 incher out there.

Ideally I'd like to see both a bookshelf and floorstanding design.

I support the idea, like W3-871S with Cyburg Needle, but would like to see more ideas.

gychang
Old 14th April 2007, 05:05 PM   #3
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello,

here my floorstanding solution,

for different 3" driver

http://www.hm-moreart.de/24.htm

measurement and free plan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trombone 1.jpg (31.6 KB, 1620 views)
Old 16th April 2007, 03:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

How about Zaphs Hi-Vi B3S single driver system?

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html

However, you will need to mate it with a subwoofer.

For the W3-871S, how about the TABQ

TABAQ TL for Tang Band
Old 16th April 2007, 05:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think the Aura NS3 193 is also a good reference driver. Planet10 has a good implamentation with a rear mounted NS3.

Josh
Old 18th April 2007, 01:50 PM   #6
MarkMcK is offline MarkMcK  United States
diyAudio Member

It is possible to achieve great and accurate sound from a three-inch (generally a 53 mm cone).

If quality is the goal, don't ignore the Jordan. Also, if you can find the original TB W3-881S, then there is a modification published by AudioXpress that is worthwhile.

There is also a modification for the replacement TB W3-881SD. The Canadian company Voxium Inc. has been working with this transducer modification and would have to release the information before the SD would be a possibility.

Also, I consider all 53 mm cone transducers as extended range and not as full range. When you either port or use one of the new transmission line designs, while the simulator may suggest significant bass output, attempts to verify the designs have shown vent or aperture output as much as 20 dB less than the design program indicates.

Lastly, very small diameter cone transducers are affected more by boundary layer effects than larger diameter cones. You can create response aberrations with enclosure dimensions and designs that are beyond baffle edge problems.

Just something to keep in mind is that no simulator or design program can account for every variable. Like everything else, they have limits.

Best,

Mark
Old 18th April 2007, 04:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

GM & I have done monster horns for the FF85K -they're genuine horns, based on Leach's math, one of the assumptions of which is a desire for absolute maximum gain and to blazes with anything else. This one stays within linear excursion to 60Hz. Greg's most refined version has about 10db more gain & has an upper cut-off about 120Hz lower.

Bit of fun really. I doubt anyone would be mad enough to build them -too hugeous for most people: 12.5 square foot mouths (reduced by a factor of 8 as they're for corner loading), ~300in long. Not the most practical then. But they do give an idea of what a proper BLH is capable of, once size constraints are removed, and you can actually let rip with the classic BLH math, rather than hybrid QW/horn loading.
Attached Images
File Type: gif leach blh.gif (5.8 KB, 1324 views)
Old 18th April 2007, 05:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
Scott,
OK, the two of you belong in padded cells, like most of us. We'll meet more of our ilk there. IIRC it was WE engineers Wente and Thuras who once designed a horn as the roof of a dance palace, with the driver located in the next building. A fleamuscle amp drove the wee thingy and it must have ROCKED.

Pit
Old 18th April 2007, 06:16 PM   #9
Kensai is offline Kensai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Kensai
What about something more reasonably sized for the FF85? They look like awesome drivers to work with, so how about BiBs for them or maybe a nice double mouthed BVR?

Scott, I know you like to make "reasonable" and "all out" versions of the dims for everything; one would think that even "all out" the line length of an FF85 BiB would be doable, but I'm guessing that the mouth may still be pretty large.

If a tall, slim cab could be built that would let the FF85 run strong to 80Hz or less, then they could integrate really nicely with a sub.

Kensai
Old 18th April 2007, 06:35 PM   #10
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello Kensai,

o,6 mm stroke is not for bass,
but a sat down to 100 Hz
is an argument:

look my FLUTE-SAT,
listening tests shows a bit to much at 10 kHz,
therefore i prefer the Omnes Audio or FRS8M
because 1 mm stroke is also for 100 Hz better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ff85_nahfeld50cm.jpg (34.7 KB, 1213 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!