e-mail notifications not arriving every time - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Forum Problems

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2006, 01:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default e-mail notifications not arriving every time

I'm a newbie user on this forum, with only two threads, but I have been suffering from a problem I have on another VBulletin board as well; namely that I don't always get e-mail notifications.

I never got a nofication for this (old) post. And my more recent post, I got one for the first, reply, then for the next one(s) I didn't, but for the replies after my third post in the thread, I did.

I have of course set e-mail notification to instant. The spamfilter at my provider is disabled, and my local spamfilter (spamassassin) didn't catch them. To be more precise, my most recent notification mail got a score of 1.9 out of 4.9 required, so it's unlikely earlier mails would have gotten score of 4.9 or higher. And, out of hunderds of spammails per week, I have only gotten 1 or 2 false positives that I know of in years.

I suspect there is a problem with VBulletin, because one other forum for which I've got this problem, makes use of VBulletin. Actually, a third one (I hardly visit) also never sent me an e-mail, even though I have configured it to. PHPBB forums don't have this problem.

Would it be possible for server admins to check the mail log for my e-mail address for the last few days, to see what might be the case?
Old 30th August 2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm reading your question right or not but maybe this line from the notification emails explains it for you?

Quote:
There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the board again.
Old 30th August 2006, 02:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No, that's not the case. For example, I didn't get an e-mail for your reply just now. Because it took relatively long, I decided to have a look and see if there were replies, and there were, for which I never got mail.

Also, on one of the other forums, it happens quite often that I won't get an e-mail notification for quite a while, and then after a few weeks, I do get one. Looking back at the thread, it is then obvious that I have missed days or weeksworth of conversation. If the cause was the line you posted, I would have never gotten an e-mail, as opposed to a delayed one.

But anyway, I would assume that the VBulletin logs contain messages about the e-mails it sends, so my request is if an admin can check what might have happened to my mails. A simple (if it's unix) "tail -n 10000 maillogfile |grep halfgaar" or something similair should be enough.
Old 30th August 2006, 02:17 PM   #4
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

There is no problem at our end. I'd suggest you talk to your ISP as they may well be doing some filtering you are unaware of that causes Vbulletin emails to blocked more often than not.
Old 30th August 2006, 02:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Perhaps, but it seems unlikely. I'll change my e-mail address and see what happens.
Old 16th May 2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Studley is offline Studley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfgaar View Post
No, that's not the case. For example, I didn't get an e-mail for your reply just now. Because it took relatively long, I decided to have a look and see if there were replies, and there were, for which I never got mail.

Also, on one of the other forums, it happens quite often that I won't get an e-mail notification for quite a while, and then after a few weeks, I do get one. Looking back at the thread, it is then obvious that I have missed days or weeksworth of conversation. If the cause was the line you posted, I would have never gotten an e-mail, as opposed to a delayed one.

But anyway, I would assume that the VBulletin logs contain messages about the e-mails it sends, so my request is if an admin can check what might have happened to my mails. A simple (if it's unix) "tail -n 10000 maillogfile |grep halfgaar" or something similair should be enough.
I am having exactly the same problem. Any advice?
Old 16th May 2011, 03:02 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

No, you seem to have all the right buttons pushed so perhaps it's just a glitch.
Old 17th May 2011, 09:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
I'm having the same problem, not only on this forum.

Hide this!Advertise here!