Unfortunate explanation in "Edit options" menu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unfortunate explanation in "Edit options" menu

I was recently told that it no longer worked to email me using the forum email button. It has worked before, so I looked through all the options and found nothing I had selected that should prevent me from getting emails. So I started experimenting with options and found that I had to check "no" on the "Hide email option". I always thought this was about hiding my real email adress, and that is how I interpret the explanation of this option. However, it turned out that what this option does is obviously rather to select whether one accepts mail through the forum or not. I strongly suggest rephrasing this option and its explanation. Most people will probably check "no", thinking just like I did that their email adress will be visible if checking "yes".

The reason why the default wording is the way it is is because the choice to send emails thru the board or just hand out the actual email address on request is a webmaster option. So, in actual fact, it depends on how the individual webmaster has set up the board as to how that option actually plays out in real life.

OK, so what about:

Disable receiving email from forum members?
You email adress will not be displayed in either case although replying to a en email will necessarily disclose it to that member.

Not quite satisfied with the second sentence, but since the logic has to be "backwards" I wanted to avoid making it too long and awkward.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.