double and triple space between paragraphs after Preview Post

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a strange one. :) I'm using the latest version of Firefox. When I compose a message all looks good in terms of spacing between the paragraphs. Then I do a "Preview Post"... and it comes back with double and even triple spacing between the paragraphs! I then have to go back an edit all those down to single again. Thankfully the edit "holds" and stay single from then on.

This has been happening for a long time, just never reported it before. Also haven't posted anything in a few months. :)

TIA for any help here!

EDIT: Lol - happened with *this* post! So I've done a screen capture and attached, below, below before I went back and edited to single spacing.

Attachments

• triple space.JPG
    triple space.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 165

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just to clarify.....

Are you typing directly into FireFox?

Line-spacing glitch is often associated with typing in *another* application (perhaps MSWord) and then pasting into text-box.

I'm using FireFox, auto-update, and both typing-raw and pasting from a plain-text editor. I have not been seeing any line-spacing glitches.

HowEver... come to think of it, on several forums, I *have* recently seen spaced-out posts which may be the same thing you are noting. While some guys won't get off the Enter key, there seems to be a recent rash, so maybe there's a new software bug?

OTOH, I'm also chatting with a guy who can't use his Space or Enter keys. Allruntogether.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The same problem happens in MS Edge. I noticed this immediately after clean installing the latest version (April 2018). With Edge it actually behaves oddly while typing, for example a single keypress to move down a line does not move the cursor, however begin typing and it does jump a line. Move the cursor to leave a single line space and begin typing and it moves down a further line.

It doesn't seem totally site specific and I've seen it do this on sites using XF software.

Firefox --> uninstall, replace with Chrome to solve the problem

Just to clarify.....

Are you typing directly into FireFox?

Yep! Typed directly into Firefox, no copy and paste from any other program.

NEW INFORMATION! The problem apparently is ONLY in Firefox. Just tried Chrome and everything works perfectly.

So I first tried this reply using Firefox and had the problem. Triple space at the end of your quote, double after the quote when I did a a "Preview Post". Then, without posting, exited Firefox and logged into diyaudio with Chrome. Retyped the post here (I'm posting now with Chrome) and did a Preview Post. Perfect. Single spacing between the paragraphs just like I wrote it.

Bye bye Firefox! I've already abandoned it for most things due to Flash being seriously broken in FF but not Chrome. Don't know why I was still using it for the forum here (well yes I do, my password was stored in FF but now I have it stored in Chrome).

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Flash being seriously broken in FF but not Chrome

I have never installed Flash here. Have not seriously missed it in 2 years. Some site wants to show me a Flash, fork them, I aint doing that. I may be biased by a decade (partly professionally) wrestling with Flash updates and vulnerabilities.

Do wonder what *combination* of factors is 2/3-spacing lines. I have never seen it on my posts, but have in others, and at other forums. You see it in FF but not Chrome. Mooly sees it in Edge. However I see no profit in worrying about it. Specially here, where we are moving to new forum platform soon.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
?? In my FF (60.0.2 (64-bit)) the text entry area is white (yes, FFFFFF- I checked).

Are we sure no Browser Helper Objects are installed?

Not sure what you mean by helper objects, there are extensions and add-ons which have not changed in 18 months.

I have attached a screen shot of what the browser window looks like in FF.

Attachments

• ff bug.JPG
    ff bug.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 129
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
With the exception of things relating to security I am pretty sure my FF settings are default. I don't override the site code wrt formatting, colors, fonts, etc..

With the exception of the strange spacing error and a generally lack luster performance (compare with either Edge or Opera to see what I mean) it mostly works here.

There are some sites where their merchant software malfunctions wildly with this browser and I end up using one of the others. Edit: Spaces removed.. :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.