Suggest that we add a ignore button underneath users avatars?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I'm thinking that the ignore feature isn't getting enough use so I suggest that we add an ignore button underneath users avatars so that the feature gets more use?

If newcomers to the forum aren't aware of the ignore feature of the forum and its a buried feature then they could be put off by wanting to stay.

Please think about it.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
"Ignore User" (aka twit-filter) should not be TOO easy.

In principle, it should be better to engage the jerks and socialize them. Some are beyond help.

"Ignore" is 4 clicks down. Not far, though I agree the path could be more apparent.

Attachments

• Ignore-list-DIYA.gif
    Ignore-list-DIYA.gif
    28.3 KB · Views: 398
The forum is pretty well moderated. It's not like social media where you can say anything you want as long as you don't swear.

I've been flamed when I tried to help new members with their questions. I don't care because the joke's on them. Engineering principles don't work because they're cool. They work because they've been researched and refined. It doesn't matter how cool a stupid idea sounds on Fakebook. If it violates basic tenets of science, then it won't work, even if the salesman at Best Buy says they will. That's the beauty of reality.

Opinionated, disgruntled morons don't last long around here anyway, unlike social media.

I don't think l I've ever ignored anyone on here. And as others have pointed out, the ones beyond hope don't last long around here, for one reason or another.

These days people seem far too quick to simply dismiss, or throw someone away, without even bothering to try. I'm saying this and I only just turned 33! But nothing worth a damn was ever born out of everything being tickety boo, so I'd rather have some discord if it promotes thinking.

Ignore button is nice...

...but I haven't needed it here.

On another forum (AK), I got banned because I told two jerks arguing on the forum that there was an ignore button. One of the moderators deleted my post, and I had the "audacity" to ask why. No kidding, that got me banned. They even went back and deleted all my posts.

I tried to get my $25 Barter Town fee returned, no one ever responded to my request, so I contacted my credit card company and received a refund. I bought only a couple thousand dollars worth of gear, sold a few hundred worth of tubes.

So- nice that people can talk about it here, nice that the moderators aren't super diligent. Nice that people can talk intelligently, objectively, and nice that this forum isn't just a bunch of people expressing their opinions about what brand is best, what tweak gives people an epiphany about stereo gear, or talking about whether their forum is for the cheapskates and the grumpy moderator.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks for your feedback, which we can attribute to the great job our moderation team do. With 1,000 posts a day, it's a busy forum to police and sometimes things slip through the cracks and other times things don't, but I can put my hand on my heart and say the mod team does a great job of respectful, intelligent policing. Behind the scenes things are debated and discussed, ego plays second fiddle to fairness.

Once we move to the next iteration of our forum software, I look forward to adding to the options / tools / mechanisms people have available to them to communicate. Coming soon... (ETA 3 months to go live).

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
@Duke58 - I thought AK was supposed to have good “karma”...

But not sure about the “not super diligent” part as far as diyAudio is concerned, while healthy debates are allowed and even encouraged, but when the rules are broken here, you can and should expect the moderators to act accordingly.

Perhaps Duke meant what you are saying jaz. Members at large are not aware of the level of scrutiny in the backroom, nor the number of issues we deal with on a daily basis and might see it as being 'not super diligent.' I'd like to think it's in a respectful way, rather than meaning we aren't on top of things.

OK, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here. ;)

I was banned from AK basically because I questioned the moderator editing my post, telling two people about a feature on their website.

AK advertises itself as being all about audio, not attitude. It has become a social website, mostly people expressing their opinions about audio on some of the forums.

Not being super diligent IS a respectful way of saying they aren't censoring, banning people for questioning their edits. Just because my post was written because I was tired of the online bickering, and I was trying to inform the two arguing that there was a feature on AK which would allow them not to get so irritated.

I was a contributor to AK, both financially and technically. While no forum is perfect, and it's not possible for the AK moderator or grumpy owner to patrol the website and edit every single post, nor is it a lack of diligence to try, it is petty and capricious for AK to charge a fee for access to parts of their website, then ban me from accessing the website for simply questioning their edit, then spending the time to delete every post ever made. Is that really the job of the moderators on any forum?

I get away with having an ignore list of 0. I tried an ignore list, but I had to manually override every post where a fool was getting a technical dressing down, and it was too much effort. I admit I am quite the skeptic, though. I think it's better to put your effort into developing a thick skin, and realize you have many peers doing the same. There are many threads where I can tell the thread is being ignored by some cooler heads.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
So- nice that people can talk about it here, nice that the moderators aren't super diligent. Nice that people can talk intelligently, objectively, and nice that this forum isn't just a bunch of people expressing their opinions about what brand is best, what tweak gives people an epiphany about stereo gear, or talking about whether their forum is for the cheapskates and the grumpy moderator.

Hear Hear! That is why I love this place too.

But there are some people here who do not fully read and understand a post that I've made and what I was saying, its very easy to do this. This causes a great deal of friction among members.

For example I made a post detailing charging current limits on batteries and the potential failure of a 5AH battery being charged by a car alternator as a result of exceeding that current limit. Especially when you need a jump start but not inclusive of that situation, I don't think anyone would try to jump start a flat 5 AH SLA battery from another running car, I think we all know what would happen. So therefore a small 5AH SLA battery has no place in a car as a starter battery wired in parallel with supercaps.

The bottom line is, as an example, you cannot charge a 5AH battery with a battery charger that is meant to charge a 1,000AH battery bank.

12v 5AH powersonic F1 + 6x500F super capacitors jump vehicle?

VF

You really need to read more about how AGM and SLA batteries respond to different charging regimes; if the supply voltage is limited on average - and up to 14.2-14.4v is fine for SLA and AGMs as a charging regime, and what you will find as the average the output of car alternators these days - and far higher than that is tolerable for short periods with no implication! - there is no such fireball/'omg' risk at all.

13.8v is merely float voltage for SLAs for a start.

That is pretty well known common knowledge, it took me back as to why that was being shared, did he even read my post?, I was talking about current limits not exceeding the voltage ratings of an SLA battery. So this reply was offtopic and on top of that demeaning, I wasn't talking about overvolting the battery. I was talking about exceeding the current limits of the battery. But that was totally ignored. So martin clark has not only replied with offtopic information he has also been rude about it.

This happens all of the time here, but there are some users who do it regularly and constantly behave with a snobbish attitude, thinking that they're right in every single situation and not even reading the thread, or staying on topic!

Then sippy comes along and says:
You CAN charge a 5AH battery off a charger for a 1000AH.
You dont want to be doing it for long though.
Why don't you want to be doing it for long? Is it because it overheats and, I don't know, begins to vent? Maybe even explode. The example I was giving was when the battery is being connected permanently in a car. So. Once that information is taken into account, Sippy is at a loss for words.

The user base is constantly taking examples that I'm giving them and sensationalizing them for drama.

For example:
Read the first 3 posts to this thread:

Do the first three posts that I made to this thread justify a reply like "scaremongering"?

The constant drama alert level of posts that I've made is what is infuriating and exhausting.

I make a reply, I make it well informed, and someone comes along and doesn't even read what I've said, makes an offtopic "philosophical" or "armchair engineer" post then nitpicks something small and blows it out of proportion.

The only thing that is explosive around here is the attitude towards others.

And oh my god the attitude!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I don't think anyone would try to jump start a flat 5 AH SLA battery from another running car

And notice how I had to add the word "flat" there. just to be doubly sure that I wasn't going to be shut down by yet another keyboard warrior coming along saying:
"You CAN jumpstart a SLA battery!, you're an idiot! You don't know what you're saying!"

Then leaving out important information such as:
"You just need it to be fully charged!".

Sigh. :no:

Sorry, but that's not really as egregious as probably most of the other participants in this thread have experienced. Thicker skin. A few years back there was a non-audio thread about the subject matter of my masters thesis and professional field I worked in for 8 years as an engineer. I was shut out of the discussion, my posts ignored as if a child was speaking as I tried to explain their mistakes. Thicker skin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.