Suggest that we add a ignore button underneath users avatars?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Its funny because the forum url is "diyaudio.com". Yet the forum caters to just professional audio engineers and the more extreme home audio enthusiasts.

So that is what is going on here?, the home audio tinkerer is being alienated and when he joins he expects a welcoming atmosphere to a forum which is catering to diyaudio.

I'm an home audio tinkerer/enthusiast, I'm not an engineer and have never been employed as one, yet I expect to be able to share small projects that I've done at home.

Last edited:
Its funny because the forum url is "diyaudio.com". Yet the forum caters to just professional audio engineers and the more extreme home audio enthusiasts.

So that is what is going on here?, the home audio tinkerer is being alienated and when he joins he expects a welcoming atmosphere to a forum which is catering to diyaudio.

I'm an home audio tinkerer/enthusiast, I'm not an engineer and have never been employed as one, yet I expect to be able to share small projects that I've done at home.

Yeah- I can't really agree with this. I'm one of the least informed persons on this forum and I have found most of the smart people really helpful. Basically if you put in some work and are wanting to learn, they will help you. Of course there is the occasional jerk but sometimes I learn things from them too.

I think the ignore button is fine the way it is. I have found that if I'm getting agitated I should ignore the forum for a while.
No thread on this forum is that important.

these days there was a discussion about RT linux kernel or normal kernel. the maintainer of the distribution stated more than once that he has no interest in maintaining RT kernel because of the great effort needed for support.
after that more than 100 offtopic esoterik comments and a wild non tech posts about RT were being made.
i have nothing against offtopic comments or esoteriks, everybody has his own free will.
the problem is reading all this useless stuff needs a lot of time and in the end you spent hours reading without some outcome. otherwise there are also people who love to read this, so....

i started to prepare some very offensive post supported with real world measurements which proves that RT and normal linux kernel have the same FR, distortion and what else figure.
a whole day i prepared this one when suddenly i stumbled upon a kind of unsolvable problem: REW spit out 9000 db of headroom and refused his work. i pulled my hair and had to quit this "operation", continuing reading all this esoterik stuff in the thread.

.... then the next day something happened: the last 100 posts where deleted because of offtopic discussion.
no further RT vs mainline kernel discussion since then.

.. and this is why i always come back to diyaudio,
may the force be with you.

PS: to say something about a mechanism against such things: it often works that somebody states a short [offtopic] in the first line of his post. but thats some grown up thing that you cant teach most of the time. some people have it, the others dont have it.
oh there it is: i'm kind of offtopic :scratch2:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
<snip>
No thread on this forum is that important.

Wise words, sometimes perspective seems to get lost in the heat of the moment.

Everyone is a beginner at some point in their lives, even the pros..

The smart guys aren't always right as others have pointed out; being expert in one area does not automatically translate to expertise in another.
(And they may fail to recognize that fact)

Don't retaliate, ask moderation for help when things get out of hand, that's what we are here for.

You've been hanging out with the curmudgeons in the lounge too much. :)

The grand majority of the projects actually getting built are kits and/or Chinese boards getting assembled, with an enormous amount of excellent tech support. Which makes sense, because those are the projects that have the smallest scope to completion.

Then there's tons upon tons of philosophy posts on esoterica or general tweakerism and very very little movement on those fronts. But where the SNR is high, the average Jane and Joe is able to do some great stuff with the help of Diyaudio.

Also, I think blocking people should be inordinately difficult. We have enough problems with echo chambers in various forms of social forums that it's really best to have to deal with controversy and differences of opinion up unless things go too far, where moderation (who I think ride the line between censorship and wild west very well) steps in.

Last edited:
If you really want to see an roadside freak-show of insecure, self-fellating know-it-alls, join twitter.

Thank the heavens there is a unifying interest that draws us all here. I’m thankful to rub elbows with the extremely knowledgeable and beginner alike. The mods here are among the best I’ve ever seen. This place is an oasis.

I'm just not trying hard enough then 'cus I ain't been banned anywhere yet. I've resigned from at least one forum because the owner was having a bad day (deleted my posts for showing a successful project no less).

I never even considered using the ignore feature (nor do I want a like feature) on the grounds that somebody must think I'm as big a jerk as I find others at times so live and let live.

I vote for an ignore button below the avatar.
Life is too short to read unsustainable opinion where it is clear people who know (engineers, physicists, scientists, and mathematicians) can prove otherwise, and it generally the same people who wax not so lyrically about stuff that makes no sense.
In fact, it annoys me when some members who are well credentialled are told they don't know.

Stuff about directional cables, quantum anything, audiophile this or that, shielded power cables, etcetera; bing bong, IGNORE! My list is long...........................................

The ignore feature is not all negative IME. I've added a pair of members to it not because they're jerks but because they have a audio philosophy completely opposite to mine. As we were active on the same threads a lot of the time, it helped me not feeling compelled to "correct them" all the time, derailing those threads and confusing the poor OP. It also helped me not to turn myself into a complete jerk (still working on that). :p

Still, I agree that it shouldn't be too easy. The way it works now is fine in my view.

Btw, this forum is quite an oddity in how it caters to very different crowds: the maniacal cap swappers, the 0.00000000001% thd chasers, the ltspice addicted, the "cheaper the better", the "more expensive the better", etc... Still, while we might confuse newbies in our daily arguments, someone looking for a particular answer will more often than not receive it.

Maybe I'm missing something but if I ignore a user and he/she/it replies to a thread the posts of this user are invisible. I guess other users will reply to the post and a part of the conversation isn't there and I don't see the reference. From my small point of view I do it like Scottjoplin, if I need to ignore someone I simply filter with my eyes. From what I have seen the admins and a part of the daily users of this forum are telling a user if he/she/it is too rude or whatever. An audio-forum without emotions cannot be done so I guess it should be enough to remember some guys from time to time that they shouldn't take their stuff too serious and that divergent statements are possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.