Suggest that we add a ignore button underneath users avatars?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
VenusFly said:
Its funny because the forum url is "diyaudio.com". Yet the forum caters to just professional audio engineers and the more extreme home audio enthusiasts.
My impression is almost the opposite: many of the people here seem to know very little about what they say is their own hobby. Sadly, those who are professionally engaged in audio sometimes seem to know less than the more competent amateurs. Fortunately there are people on here who do understand audio, although few of them actually make their living from it.

kevinkr said:
The smart guys aren't always right as others have pointed out; being expert in one area does not automatically translate to expertise in another.
One of the things I like about diyaudio is that when I speak nonsense, as I sometimes do, I know that someone will point this out. I have learnt a lot here. Problems arise when someone pops up - usually someone new to the forum - and simply seeks affirmation of his daft ideas. Sometimes such a person will learn from the patient advice he is offered, but often he will resort to insults and then we lose patience with him; the Mods are good at then stepping in and calming things down.

My ignore list is short. At one time it included a few people who talked nonsense, even though they were audio professionals - I guess I was at first shocked to find such people existed. Now my list contains a few people who persistently resort to insults when challenged, yet manage to stay just below the threshold where the Mods might intervene. I have a poor memory, so without the list I might keep stumbling across them and annoy them again; in that sense they benefit from being in my list.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The ignore feature is not all negative IME. I've added a pair of members to it not because they're jerks but because they have a audio philosophy completely opposite to mine. As we were active on the same threads a lot of the time, it helped me not feeling compelled to "correct them" all the time, derailing those threads and confusing the poor OP. It also helped me not to turn myself into a complete jerk (still working on that). :p

Big thumbs up :up: :) This is exactly the type of use we as mods occasionally suggest to members. It's sometimes easy for us (mods) to see what is going on, but not so common for people (in the middle of it) to realize it themselves. Kudos!!

Tony.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Maybe I'm missing something but if I ignore a user and he/she/it replies to a thread the posts of this user are invisible....

Actually it shows "This message is hidden...". If it happens that context makes you want to know WHAT that twit is on about this time, there is a click to, your choice, view that specific post this one time, without losing he/she/it from your twit-list.

Attachments

• ViewPost.gif
    ViewPost.gif
    44.3 KB · Views: 136
Personally I think the like button is effective. I follow another forum, and I find it livens things up. Sometimes a really good response gets likes, but more often it's funny responses that move people to push the like button. Might not work as well on this forum where non-native English speakers might miss subtle jokes or be offended by the humour.

Personally I think the like button is effective. I follow another forum, and I find it livens things up. Sometimes a really good response gets likes, but more often it's funny responses that move people to push the like button.

Yeah I completely forgot Facebook had a ‘like’ button.

I think within hobby boards, it encourages a bit of camaraderie which in turn promotes a more humorous and congenial atmosphere (not that there’s anything wrong with the atmosphere here). It’s also a good way to recognize a worthwhile post that may have been otherwise completely ignored.

Oh, that was it. Many forums have a strict rule of Do Not Question Moderator Actions, even if it's "why did you edit my post?"

I'm tempted to discuss my own online history, but there are parts and circuits I really should be putting together.

Yes, I asked why my post was edited because I was telling two people arguing back and forth about the ignore button.

I don't miss AK, or the grumpy "owner." I got my money back for joining their Barter Town feature- that's all I care about. I paid for something, they arbitrary and grumpily cut me off. Don't know why anyone has to pay for what other websites feature for free?

At the end of the day, nice thing about the internet is no one is forcing you to click on their website, postings, email, etc. I can take my ball, kick everyone out of the pool, enjoy my LPs in the comfort of my own home. Turn off the phone, unplug the internet connection. Relax and drink a beer. Or two...

Ignore buttons are for the ultra thin-skinned.
Unless you encounter a pathological troll, who follows you all over a forum for months, spitting bile and insults on every post you make, and the moderators do nothing, because the troll is a "gold member" who pays a large annual fee to the forum owner.

That once happened to me on another forum. I looked up other posts by the troll in question, and it became clear that he had some sort of aberrant personality, most probably from what psychologists call the "dark triad", i.e. narcissist / psychopath / Machiavellian.

The moderators on that forum never did do anything about the troll. But being able to put him on my ignore list solved most of the problem for me. (Not all, because he would still ruin the mood and quality of discourse on any thread I posted to - even if I couldn't see his posts, other people on the thread could, and between his ranting and his technical mistakes, other participants would get angry and/or confused.)

So: ignore buttons have their purpose, and not just for the thin-skinned. There are people with sufficiently severe emotional problems that you really need to get them out of your life.

-Gnobuddy

There are people with sufficiently severe emotional problems that you really need to get them out of your life.
My neighbour is one, seriously, she's made false allegations about me, thankfully everyone knows what she's like, the police have advised me to totally ignore her. She's a tenant in a terrace of four bought houses and now at last there is a concerted effort to force her to move

My neighbour is one <snip>
I feel for you, sincerely. Having a psychopath in your life can really make things miserable.

Thank goodness the police are ignoring her accusations. Depending on where you live and whom the authorities are, you can sometimes encounter a situation where the police (to cover their own behinds) are not allowed to ignore even the most improbable accusations from obviously unwell complainants.

I knew a really nice chap whose war-veteran neighbour had a few bats too many in his belfry, and called the police to complain about him, his wife, and his two teenage sons, several times a week. The complaints ranged from accusations of devil-worship, mind-control, and stalking to excessive noise. The local police department, increasingly wearily, came out to investigate every complaint, and file their formal report.

-Gnobuddy

Thank you. The situation you describe is very sad all round and seems quite unnecessary. My neighbour has only done this once to me (so far) if she does it again I may be asked to give a statement. The police read me the long rambling, frankly laughable, statement she gave them. She is wary of me, thank goodness and I'm pretty certain I have nothing to fear from her directly, but as a single man I'm vulnerable to the type of alligation she's made. She's a private tenant but wants a council house, my other neighbours think it could be a ploy and she's using me. It's impossible to know what's going on in her head, she may even believe it's true.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.