when will the blogs be back up and running....

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
They will come when we move to XF, which isn't too far away now (a month from now to get into beta, a few months to switch over). The pressure is on and we do need to move quickly. There won't be any new functionality added to the current setup until we switch. I guess you could write content elsewhere or in a thread and port it over later. Sorry I don't have a better answer than that.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
It is. The good news is I've already successfully done a proof of concept import into XenForo of the old blogs, so all their data should come across to the new site. However it will be as a discussion archive, as there is no directly comparable blog feature in XenForo as standard, but XenForo does have personal page discussions which should fill the gap, and upon which we can build extra functionality. So.. to answer your question yes, more certainly and I won't stop until we have a good solution in place. Sorry the forum upgrade has dragged on so long, we're almost there now.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
The store's back-end is currently under urgent/emergency development to handle various breaking dependencies it relies on and make it capable of handling its short and medium term critical requirements.

As soon as that's done, all attention will be on updating the forum. I do apologize for the long delays. Tony summed it up perfectly with the Pantene Ad :) It WILL happen.

Administrator
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi googlyone! The blogs plan is as follows:

1. We have a simple (cheap and cheerful) blogging option we can set up on XenForo which has been tested by yours truly as "it works okay".

2. Time and effort spent doing more of that on the staging forum isn't worth it though as the current site is what gets migrated when the time comes, the staging forum will get blown away.

3. After we have migrated we're keen to see some quality blogging happen. With the key on quality: useful and informational for members. That's going to need a reasonable frequency of updates (as many blogs go stale) and a focus on useful and good info (as opposed to just "content" or commercial promotion).

4. The general plan is to ask people who have shown an interest to get involved. I expect we'd want to understand the intent of the blog and the kinds of things that would be blogged about before setting just anyone up with a blog. There are many other good blogging platforms for most purposes so a diyaudio.com blog would have to be something that fits with the forum and its members.

5. The big challenge to solve is comments. It is not straightforward to enable limited commenting on blog posts with the simple xenforo setup we envisage. It would sort of be "all or nothing" as in everyone can comment or no-one can. Or maybe only paid members can, but we cannot provide bloggers with any kind of granular control over the commentors.

Feel free to hit me up with more questions too - and if you're considering getting into this in more depth I'm happy to discuss (that applies to anyone who reads this too).