Can a (long) thread be downloaded?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TL;DR:

Is there some way for the text of a long thread to be downloaded as a single text file?

I've been part-time here, and haven't kept up with every thread I've read or even posted to. I've just discovered the "What is wrong with op-amps?" thread has exploded over the last year or so, now having about three times the posts as it did a year ago since it was started in 2010. It has almost 5,000 posts, or 100 pages at my setting of 50 posts per page. I could save each of 100 pages for reading offline, but this would be a bit of trouble (I've done this with smaller threads). Being able to download whole threads would be great for various other "blowtorch" threads that look daunting but I'd like to be able to read offline.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I just gave it a try on the "what's wrong with op-amps" thread. printing to pdf does make it into discrete pages, which don't always break in a convienient place, but it's still quite readable.

You can save as a complete html offline copy and then it is one massive page you can continually scroll through.

In both cases it was around 50MB!

See screenshots below so you know what you get. 1st is the one saved as pdf showing a page break. 2nd is begining of saved html and 3rd is an example where there was an embedded image.

Tony.

Tony.

Attachments

• whats_wrong3.png
    whats_wrong3.png
    203.4 KB · Views: 244
  • whats_wrong1.png
    whats_wrong1.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 247
  • whats_wrong2.png
    whats_wrong2.png
    494.2 KB · Views: 249
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I just tried on one of my threads, and attached images are shown in full in the enhanced print view version, one after the other at the end of the post.

Non Image attachments appear to not be downloaded or linked (or even evidence that they were present). So that is a bit of a caveat.

Tony.

I need something good (?) to read while pedaling on my exercise bike - I've done quite a bit of reading, books and magazines as well as computer screens, this way.

I've considered reading through the Blowtorch threads, which are probably an order of magnitude larger. I've seen several posts elsewhere that point to specific blowtorch posts. Reading those and other posts around them is always interesting, even though posts rarely have anything to do with blowtorches or preamps.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
FWIW, I found that HTML adds about 60% overhead to the thread download, but makes the formatting is worth it. Printing to PDF ends up huge, not sure why. Saving as a web archive works well enough, about 1/2 the size of the PDF and all the images and text are there. Most browsers can do this. The size of the archive is going to highly depend on the images in the thread.

To think this was a year ago ...

Hi benb, If you donate $10 or more to diy audio the advanced print view option is available. See here diyAudio - Donations

I think that will do what you want :)

Tony.

I've not been on my exercise bike nearly enough the last year, and with the "threads going downill" thread, it must be time to catch up on the older ones ...

I recall spending "way too much time" on newsgroups circa 1996-2005, mostly rec.audio.* and especially rec.audio.pro where they gave free advice on mic placement and whatnot ... I found the mrltapes website and thought "omg they're giving away the store!" How many manufacturers tell you exactly how to make what they're making ... perhaps it's even harder than they say, and they're only telling how to do the obvious parts.

Anyway, I've read a lot of online stuff off screens before, and I'll continue to do so as long as I have enough optical help to focus my eyes. A token payment should be a bargain, at least in entertainment, and hopefully also in good technical audio info.

So I looked up this thread again to figure out how to give money to DIYAudio, but NOW I see it in That Blue Line with "Home" and "User CP:"

"Donations"

If it were a snake ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.