Poor Use of Thread Titles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is unfortunate that in most electronics discussion areas of the forum that thread titles are not being used for their intended purpose. 90% of the titles simply list an amplifier model number, or a tube type, or a circuit design. There aren't any clues as to what the poster intends to do such as ask a question, present a new design, or comment on some aspect of the item. The thread titles should focus on some specific aspect or topic, instead of opening up an endless thread of general comments. Just a suggestion...

RestAssured

Can only agree with OP, one could always try hold the mouse cursor over the thread title and a little info bubble will pop up and show the first few words inside the post and hopefully give a hint whether the post is worth opening.

Don't know if the letter count limitation inside the bubble is hard coded or changeable, but I think when DiyA change forum software to XenForo in near future the info bubble should increase, have seen it on other forums using XenForo.

Edit: The picture on the right is from a forum using XenForo

Attachments

• popup-info-bubble-vBulletin.JPG
    popup-info-bubble-vBulletin.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 197
  • popup-info-bubble-XenForo.JPG
    popup-info-bubble-XenForo.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 202
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I agree with the OP. Having discussed this with the moderators, it appears there was some confusion about my intentions on this topic. However, let it be said that I am all for correction of thread titles if doing so will help the majority of users know what the thread is about.

Please expect more thread title editing / correction / nudging / etc to happen in the future.

XF, as you've seen above, has some thread previous options. Personally I find them annoying and gimmicky, but it's in the software already and can be turned on if it is desirable (whether that is a global default, or a user choosable option, I'm not sure yet).

Threads in XF can also be tagged, which will help with navigation (browsing by tags) and searching. We will likely assemble a "tagging team" of qualified taggers going through old images and threads tagging them, at that same time correction of thread titles could be done.

In general through, allowing suggestions for improved titles is something that could be done on the software side, suggestions for new titles could then be seen by mods. I'm all for empowering as much user driven editing/correction/upvote/downvote stuff as possible in the future. I'm definitely not saying that those edits, corrections or votes need to be seen by the public or to turn the forum into a post popularity contest. But there's plenty of scope for more interaction and assistance to the mods, and regular forums members, from all forum members.

Looking forward to migrating and getting some of this in motion. XF 2 is now at Beta 4, and I guess we're still looking at 2 months of dev and testing before we'd be at public beta for diyAudio 2.0. I'm thinking January 2018 is a good bet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.