Taken to random posts Taken to random posts - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Taken to random posts
Taken to random posts
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2017, 02:27 PM   #1
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Default Taken to random posts

When I click on "topic" on the homepage I'm often taken to the thread a few posts or pages back from the most recent posting. Is this normal? Is there a way I can always be taken to the most recent post?
Old 15th July 2017, 02:30 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Taken to random posts
I notice the same behavior, and it's not new. It seems in some cases it takes me to the page I last visited and there can be several more pages after that. It's never bothered me because it seems worthwhile to me to read the intervening posts. (Yeah I actually do that, except when I don't, which usually results in my posting something embarrassing.. LOL)
Old 15th July 2017, 02:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I presume as a moderator you can delete embarrassing posts even after 30mins which us lesser mortals cannot do......however subscribers will have already been emailed the faux pas . Yes, it's not a new phenomena, but I'm finding it increasingly confusing as I progress down the rocky road of life...
Old 15th July 2017, 02:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Taken to random posts
I generally leave my embarrassing posts alone unless I notice them within the 30 minute time window all members get.. LOL

And of course the trail of guilt is there in the email notifications for everyone to see.

I have the impression many don't actually read the notifications, and I only do if I don't have access to the forum at the time.

Things have become much more complex across our lifetimes so it may not just be a sign of encroaching senility, but one of excessive complexity in daily tasks..

I'm guilty too, or so my wife likes to tell me...
Old 15th July 2017, 03:22 PM   #5
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Taken to random posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
When I click on "topic" on the homepage I'm often taken to the thread a few posts or pages back from the most recent posting. Is this normal? Is there a way I can always be taken to the most recent post?
I believe it takes you back to the last place you were in that thread. If it takes you back in a thread you are going to the first time, then I'm not sure of the mechanism.
Old 15th July 2017, 04:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ah, maybe that's it, I shall pay better attention. If this is the case, it is a damn fine idea sir
Old 17th July 2017, 09:02 PM   #7
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Taken to random posts
I went to a thread I hadn't been to before and it took me back 2.5 days and 15 posts. I will watch this further.
Old 17th July 2017, 10:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Taken to random posts
Generally takes me to the first post in such cases, but not 100% sure it always does. I may have seen this behavior as well..

Edit: Not able to replicate, always first post in thread.
Old Today, 03:03 AM   #9
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Taken to random posts
There may have been some weirdness over the last few days as I was experimenting with different caches. Sometimes session data may have been lost mid-visit. That is probably all resolved now as we're now using the "final" cache configuration.

In regards to a few posts being off, that might be due to some posts getting deleted. If this is not due to this, please let me know. It's possible that some other caching is causing the "last post" to not be updated soon enough.

Taken to random postsHide this!Advertise here!