DiyAudio page reloads and reloads and reloads and reloads = SLOW!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm getting frustrated trying to read DIYaudio. The page is constantly reloading. Sometimes the overhead of this makes it so I get a delay of several seconds when I try to scroll the page during the reload. I have a pretty fast multi-core i7 class based PC and first noticed this happening a few weeks ago. After suffering through this for awhile now it is getting really annoying.

Can you please remove whatever is causing these reloads? It's really killing my interest in visiting this site.

P.S. in the status bar at the bottom of the page I can see what the page is trying to do: reload ads and ad related content. This seems to happen mostly (or only) on the main DIYaudio page and in contrast there is nothing happening while I am typing this even though there is an ad banner above.

P.P.S this might be tied to a particular ad or ads. Right now on the main page I am not experiencing the problem, but just a couple of minutes ago it was constantly reloading and that prompted me to write this post. This makes me think that one or more banner ads is problematic, but not all.

Last edited:
OK, now it is doing it again. The ads that are displayed on the page are from miniDSP and AM Affiliates (Amazon). My bet is on the Amazon ad as the problem child. Screen shots of the ads attached, below.

Attachments

• problem ad 1.PNG
    problem ad 1.PNG
    46.8 KB · Views: 111
  • problem ad 2.PNG
    problem ad 2.PNG
    43.6 KB · Views: 109
Attached is another ad that is displaying while the page is stuck in its never-ending reload cycle. It's from "Mavenlink". In the status bar I see:
Transferring data from track1.anaview.com
Waiting for static.rtb.adx1.com​
These trade places over and over and over again without end. I think the same thing was happening for the AM partners ad.

Attachments

• problem ad 3.PNG
    problem ad 3.PNG
    31.8 KB · Views: 111
UPDATE:

OK, back on the main page I realized that in addition to the ad at the top, and the one at the right, there is also one at the bottom. I forgot to look there before. The two ads at the top (Crutchfield) and right (Keysight technologies) did not previously give me a problem, but down there at the bottom of the page I found that Amazon Affiliates ad again! I am pretty convinced that one is the source of the problem.

Can you block it?

As far as I know the ads are targeted based on your general browsing history. Why not try flushing your browser cache (temp files and so on) and try again with a clean sheet.

I followed your suggestion. I closed the browser (it's set to flush the cache on close) and re-opened it. I pulled up DIYaudio. No problem. I reloaded the page manually over and over and over again (maybe 20 times). Each time there was no problem. Each time I checked for the offending Amazon ad and each time it was not there.

Then after lots of page refreshing the Amazon ad (see screen shot in post #2) again appeared at the bottom. Immediately the page started it's over and over auto-refreshing and the status bar showed that something was pulling data from those two sites I listed before in post #3.

The Amazon ad is definitely the problem for me.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thank you for your donation Charlie :)

I will be reviewing the whole ad experience when we design the appearance of the site for the next platform. Something I will be implementing is an "ad-lite" experience for any logged in members, even more so for those who have contributed a lot of posts. We will keep the membership option while lets you remove all the ads and will have other benefits as well.

I did a while back try to switch off the "follow you around" ads and just have audio related ads on here. At the time, there was no option within Adsense to do that. As I said, I'm going to look at everything with fresh eyes for the new website design.

For anyone else who's passionate about the website and hates ads there is always the membership option, which is less than a dollar a month. Thank you to everyone who has opted for that, whatever was the motivation.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I will add that it's been a long time since I changed any ad-related code on here, and it's possible I need to update the code to keep it working all the time with new browsers. It's also possible that Adsense had a hissy fit which caused the problems you were experiencing. I'll review the code in the short term.

I too have just started getting frequent page reloads. I assumed it was a bug in a Firefox update, but just seen this thread. I have not noticed any change in the ads I am being served, but I don't take much notice of the ads anyway.

The page reloads mean that the back button no longer works, because all the pages back from the current one are merely copies of the current one. This makes DIY audio almost unusable when it happens as I need to come in again from a bookmark to get back to a forum area. Obviously something has changed somewhere.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks for the bug report. I'm seeing about 2x the server load since we upgraded our various systems (which had to be done in concert (all at once) due to various incompatibilities), which is proving to be tricky to determine what is the source of the problem. Right now I'm close to finishing the archiving process for our add-ons so I can remove all the old code that serves those areas and eliminate that from the equation. Then I will be looking at optimizing other parts of the puzzle, including looking at the ad serving. It has been a long time since it was updated and might need updated code. I'm working non stop on all this - I can promise you it has my full attention. It could have something to do with the new link-rewriting software we upgraded to (DBSEO) up from the old outdated unsupported software (VBSEO) that creates nice looking links but requires careful settings.

Thanks again for the bug report.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.