Photobucket yanking (free) inline img hosting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think as long as you keep your pics up on the free account people can still right clik and copy image address, open in a new window

but a general solution, scraping our images back from photobucket, reloaded to diyaudio and having the links fixed in our past threads would be good

One option, if you're running Firefox or Chrome and need any particular images - try Googling 'Photobucket Embed Fix' - it works for me with Firefox, and means I can still see many of the now 'empty' linked images - certainly enough to be able to save a copy of those that I find particularly useful... until PB decide to block or disable it in some way I guess.

I have no connection to, or interest in, the Add-On, it's just something I came across on the AK forum.

I think as long as you keep your pics up on the free account people can still right clik and copy image address, open in a new window

but a general solution, scraping our images back from photobucket, reloaded to diyaudio and having the links fixed in our past threads would be good

How could I replace the images in past threads?
Can I edit posts from years ago?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think that is a bit harsh Andrew. What photobucket has done is very underhanded. I too have quite a few images here that are photobucket hosted, which I did before I knew you could inline images that had been attached to a post. I also have them at other forums that had no other way of posting an image other than at externally hosted sites!

One can only hope that photobucket reverses the decision for images that were already uploaded before they changed the rules, As one of the things that they advertised was the fact you could link images, they even had the menus to give you the different types of links you might require. It had been that way for years then all of a sudden all of those millions of images are blocked and they expect the people who were told they could do it for free will now pay $100's a year to keep the privilege.

This is the sort of decision that kills companies. It's a wakeup call though. Just shows how temporary the internet really is.

Another alternative is to go to the wayback machine and put in the url for the thread, It will hopefully have it with all of the images intact. That worked for my p2p lm3886 blog posts.

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The plugin for firefox works a treat (however you would need to view the threads with a different browser to see which images are broken). It would certainly make things easier having one browser showing how it should look (and being able to save the images) and then edit in the other one to restore to how it should be. Still tedious, but not as bad...

Tony.

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'll definitely be implementing some kind of Photobucket solution once we move to XF to allow members to easily re-upload their images and fix broken images/links.

We'll also likely enable forum images to be viewed by non-members. If I recall correctly, that feature / decision dates back to the days when bandwidth was very expensive.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
For crying out loud, please, whether you see them or not isnt the point, most everyone else does not. These hosting places photos are always, repeat always lost eventually. Upload the pics directly as Andrew points out. Then they are here for all to see, and always will be.
This is hardly a new issue here or other forums. Just say no to third party hosting sites as far as forum posting is concerned. Otherwise you may as well not bother as most cant see them anyway. The solution is more trouble to avoid than to use, unless some users in some locations are unable to post here, and I dont think thats the case.

I might also point out I am not the most computer savvy person here and maybe there are reasons which would favor using these sites, but as a long time user here and other sites/forum, this problem is epidemic. Every pic I have ever posted is here and other places. Sorry if I am unknowingly hogging bandwidth. I assume if that is a problem, there would not be facility here for managing such attachments?

Of course whats done is done regarding older posts, and I applaud Jason for taking time to repair links that were broken, much appreciated!

Russellc

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.