Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Virus warning from thread pictures
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2017, 06:26 PM   #1
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Default Virus warning from thread pictures

Just had four virus warnings from AVG relating to pictures in the thread "Identification of Amperex 12AX7a ECC83" in Tubes/Valves. Anyone else had problems there?
Old 1st May 2017, 06:30 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Not seeing anything untoward but I don't use AVG. Could it be from advert on the page ?
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Maybe. I don't want to risk going back there.
Old 4th May 2017, 11:39 PM   #4
bolly is online now bolly  Canada
diyAudio Member

I had the same thing yesterday!!
Old 5th May 2017, 02:25 AM   #5
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Hmm. I just installed AVG to check this (desktop OSX as well as AVG tuneup) and don't get anything. AVG does like to throw false positives to make it look like it's doing something, not that I disregard the threat or possibility of an issue in any way at all.

Bolly - were you on the "Identification of Amperex 12AX7a ECC83" page?

There are 5 images directly linked into the first page from "http://www.codekinesis.com/". This appears to be a legit (but stale and possibly compromised) website, but perhaps they got hacked. It seems normal now. AVG reports no threats on their site in the last 30 days codekinesis.com | Website Safety Report & Reviews For codekinesis.com

Google (who I personally regard with higher confidence and professionalism) says:

So... at this stage... unsure what might have caused AVG to blip. If you see this kind of thing again, please take a screenshot, save any specifics about filenames, errors, etc. Very unlikely it could have come through our Adserver, we only use Google for our ads and they do have strict rules about their ads however there have been breeches previously (that affected pretty much every site on the net).
Old 10th May 2017, 12:38 AM   #6
bolly is online now bolly  Canada
diyAudio Member

Jason, yes that exact page, haven't been back but just went there 2 minutes ago, here's the screenshot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg virusdiy.jpg (250.5 KB, 149 views)
Old 10th May 2017, 12:53 AM   #7
diyAudio Administrator

I downloaded that file individually, ran it through Virus total which uses AVG's latest virus signature database from 9th May 2017, and it tested AOK on 56 different scanners:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/0...is/1494377334/

I also tried it on a number of other scanners, and it comes back clean. Can you please ensure you are using today's virus signature database? Are you using the latest version of AVG?
Old 10th May 2017, 01:02 AM   #8
diyAudio Administrator

One possibility, is that as you appear to be running Internet Explorer / Windows, the webserver is compromised and it only is serving up malware to browser user agents that it can hope to infect (I use a Mac). To cater for this rare possibility, I have manually downloaded all the images and uploaded them to the forum manually. There are no longer any links to codekinesis.com anymore.

Can you please tell me if the error is still reported, now that the (hopefully) clean files are local and not URLs to an external site?
Old 11th May 2017, 12:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have just got back from holiday and tried that thread again. No problems reported. Unclear what we can deduce from this, except that it is consistent with Jason's suggestion. I am still using XP (please don't all shout at me - AVG still supports XP). Sometime later this year I will be moving on to Ubuntu, as W10 horrifies me.

Thanks to Jason for spending so much time and effort on this.
Old 11th May 2017, 12:57 PM   #10
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

If you haven't already, you can try the Enterprise editions of W10 for free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/eval...-10-enterprise

You need an MS account but hey, everyone has got one of those

Just a thought

Virus warning from thread picturesHide this!Advertise here!