Social engineering warning from anti-virus software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When pulling up the main DIYaudio forums page, my anti-virus program repeatedly (after page reloads, but not every one, so it could be in the ads banner) catches the following malware and attributes it to the web site:

Social engineering
Social engineering is a malicious code present on fraudulent websites or illegally injected on legitimate but hacked websites without the knowledge of the administrator. The intention behind these code injections is to detect and exploit vulnerabilities on applications installed on your computer to install malicious and unwanted software that compromise the security of all data on the affected PC.

MODS: This does not sound good. Please try to remove it. Thanks.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
When pulling up the main DIYaudio forums page, my anti-virus program repeatedly (after page reloads, but not every one, so it could be in the ads banner) catches the following malware and attributes it to the web site:

Social engineering
Social engineering is a malicious code present on fraudulent websites or illegally injected on legitimate but hacked websites without the knowledge of the administrator. The intention behind these code injections is to detect and exploit vulnerabilities on applications installed on your computer to install malicious and unwanted software that compromise the security of all data on the affected PC.

MODS: This does not sound good. Please try to remove it. Thanks.

Hi Charlie. What anti-virus program? What specifics did it give (it should give a virus name, or other detailed information)? Nothing new on this end as far as I am aware. Google is usually pretty quick on the draw if there is an actual malware installation into any website and will throw a website into their blacklist which will cause warnings to show up if you come in via a Google search.

Hi Charlie. What anti-virus program? What specifics did it give (it should give a virus name, or other detailed information)? Nothing new on this end as far as I am aware. Google is usually pretty quick on the draw if there is an actual malware installation into any website and will throw a website into their blacklist which will cause warnings to show up if you come in via a Google search.

I got the notification from AVG. Because I have the free edition I can't go back and pull up the info about it. It called the virus "Social Engineering" but that be just referring to the class of malware rather than to a specific malware "ID" or the like.

Reimagine is a Virus.

Hi,

A somewhat similar experience:

I have experienced twice that Reimagine tried to take over my computer. I have sofar been able to restore proper operation. This has only happened through diyaudio, and my guess is that it has something to do with the pop-up ads.

Regards,

AVG isn't what it once was unfortunately. I gave up on it recently because it was constantly nagging me to upgrade, and it deleted some files during the installation of a cad cam tool I use.

About a year ago there were some big changes in anti virus software.
They started throwing up apps if they were new.
I write software and any new version was said by Norton to be a possible threat. I got in touch with Norton and they said I had to send a copy of my software to them and they would white list it. I did that but as soon as I made any changes to my software it was black listed again !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.