Question for DIYAUDIO owner operator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If a tablet version is ever produced please please make sure that there is still a proper computer version. Most other websites which have gone 'tablet friendly' usually fill up their pages with big blobs of colour and small amounts of writing in large fonts - presumably to assist those with short attention spans and tiny screens. Let's keep this website about the content, not the cosmetics.

Of course, if HTML was being used as it was originally intended (as a content description language) then layout would be entirely for the browser to decide to suit local circumstances but unfortunately the WYSIATI brigade (sometimes known as WYSIWYG) polluted the idea as they didn't understand it and thought that HTML was some sort of page description language.

If a tablet version is ever produced please please make sure that there is still a proper computer version. Most other websites which have gone 'tablet friendly' usually fill up their pages with big blobs of colour and small amounts of writing in large fonts - presumably to assist those with short attention spans and tiny screens. Let's keep this website about the content, not the cosmetics.

Of course, if HTML was being used as it was originally intended (as a content description language) then layout would be entirely for the browser to decide to suit local circumstances but unfortunately the WYSIATI brigade (sometimes known as WYSIWYG) polluted the idea as they didn't understand it and thought that HTML was some sort of page description language.
My suggestion was only that banners, title section and other nifty (but less useful features) can be found on millions of webpages - including DIYAudio. I agree that content is king. You will get no argument from me on that point. But just take a look for instance, at the diyAudio logo with the wavy lines across the top of the page. Takes up about 15% of the useful page, but otherwise serves no purpose except for self-promotional interests. We all know we're on diyAudio! On an 8.5" tablet that's a significant amount of content space. :) It would really be nice to have the ability to turn that off too. :)

And, I'm not suggesting that a tablet version replace a standard computer version.

Rick

the diyAudio logo with the wavy lines across the top of the page. Takes up about 15% of the useful page,
It may take 15% of the first *screen* , definitely not the first &*page* , unless it has so little content that it fully fits a wider than taller screen.

On a proper "portrait" page, , it's less than 15% and anyway, it appears only on the first screen, then as you scroll down it disappears, that amounts to 0% in my book..

Now if your browser shows DIY logo stapled to the top on *all* screens, I respectfully urge you to switch browsers.

FWIW I'm using a shorter than usual screen, 1024*600 (instead of customary 768) in my Toshiba NB505 Netbook with a screen which is almost tablet size, and the DIYAudio logo, including the wavy lines, only takes 21% of the first screen and 0% of the next others (we have only 7 posts so far).

On a typical 30 post page which takes lots of scrolled down screens, it becomes even less important/annoying.

EDIT:
just checked on my very small Android Phone , 2.5"*diagonal* screen.
If viewing full page, DIY logo takes 12.5% (6 mm out of 48mm useful height)
When enlarged to make text readable, lines are some 43/44 characters wide and logo grows to 21mm high, almost half of visible screen ... but still just on the first screen so no big deal.

really can't say it's a proiblem.

Yes, a Smartphone friendly version of the page (automatically generated from the regular monitor one) would be fine, but as an option, it shoukd never ever *reppace* the monitor ased one.

Specially here, where often pictures or schematics are shown.

Now for a Girls' Forum, where "content" is endless strings of : "she said xxxxx then I said yyyy" plus assorted gossip, and emoticons are graphics enough , then simplify it down as much as you wish ;)

Last edited:
When I use my Android phone to view posts, text size varies, down to very small.
Is there a solution to this problem ?.

Dan.
That's because a full-featured webpage is being crammed onto a 6" screen. Yes, there is a solution. Smartly written apps that either auto-scales to the device, or a fixed format for the size of the device screen. On many such apps using Google (is there any other. :) ) a quick double tap will zoom the text to fill the physical screen. Great for viewing on all size devices. However, this approach is not uniform at ALL! It's just a hit and miss proposition. One day, coders will wake up to intuitive methods, but until that day comes we're stuck with dumb approaches to useful 'scalability' of many apps. You'd think in this age of portability and devices of all sizes this would be a hallmark approach. :) Instead, we have 20 something coders bloating code by filling their days with animated icons which serve absolutely no useful purpose. But that's a whole nother topic. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
When, some day in the not too distant future, diyAudio moves to a new forum software there will be a mobile friendly version. Have to in this day and age.

In the meantime, how about using Tapatalk? It does a good job of rendering the forum for small screens.

Many of us hope the computer based layout will remain close to the same.

redjr said:
Yes, there is a solution.
As I said, the solution is for the website author and the browser to agree that HTML is a content description language, as originally intended by physicist Tim Berners-Lee, not a page description language. Sadly, this seems to be a lost cause since 'artists' took over from 'scientists' as the main drivers of the web.

Just to give a trivial example, it is not the job of the web author to specify things like font size and line width for text. If he does, and the browser believes him, then on a small screen you need horizontal scroll bars while on a large screen you get white space. The way it should work is that the browser should display using an appropriate size for the screen, and automatically wrap the text at the edge wherever that edge is. No scroll bars, no white space.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.