Whats happening with the forum?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I cannot load any pages.

The last time it locked up my browser and I had to restart it.
Its not happening on any other sites is there a virus present?

The pages keep coming up as not found, and yet again my browser has locked up on this site.

I am having to copy and re-paste as I try to type this information.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I cannot load any pages.

The last time it locked up my browser and I had to restart it.
Its not happening on any other sites is there a virus present?

The pages keep coming up as not found, and yet again my browser has locked up on this site.

I am having to copy and re-paste as I try to type this information.

Regards
M. Gregg

Seems to be a DOS attack of some description, maybe someone crawling the site, server load and MySQL load is very high which is why you're getting page timeouts. I've restarted Apache and MySQL, but the load even after that is still very high. I'm working on it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Thank's,

I thought it was useful to say something.
Its having an effect on the computers connected as well my browser went crazy a few minutes ago.
After restart the browser worked OK again. Browser is MS Edge.
I have just updated my antivirus just in case.

All other sites are OK.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Jason,

Unfortunately it seems as if somebody was successful in gaining access to email addresses stored on the server. I have associated only one email address to this site since becoming a member and today, for the first time ever, I received SPAM directed to it. As the sysadmin you can look up my email address and understand how I can be so sure of what I am saying.
The SPAM I received was from a person offering to rewrite my web site (I don't have one) so it could be accessed from any type of device. The message does not contain the name of the company or its location. The sender signed it with an Indian name, which does not match in any way the sender's email address hosted on gmail.com.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
After two hours I tracked down the spam vector to the blog "send to a friend" system. The permissions for this have been turned off. Unfortunately there was separate settings for the blog to the rest of the forum. Not quite what I was looking forward to at midnight as I was going to bed shattered after a 16 hour day, and got an alert the server unresponsive as I was passing out... but it's fixed for now.

The spams being sent were about turning "$10 into $10,000". Unfortunately, vBulletin 3 is well past its used by date and is a favorite target as it's installed all over the web and is well creaky. I apologize for the compromise. It's unclear if they gained access to the email addresses, or were just sending mail to forum members via the diyAudio mail system. The sooner we can move to a new platform the better, and I hope to have that beta tested and ready to roll by the end of this year. I'll see what can be done in the meantime in terms of security auditing.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.