Browser back button does not always work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the last few weeks I have noticed a change of behaviour here. Clicking the Back button does not always send me back. This is especially when trying to return from a forum area back to the forum list. Using Firefox.

If I look at the dropdown list from the Back button I sometimes find that the page I am trying to leave is repeated. I assume this means that the website has rewritten my history or path to the current page. So I have gone from page X to page Y, and expect to see XY with Y as current so one Back click should put me on X again. Instead I see XYY, with the second Y as current so one Back click puts me on Y again. Two quick clicks may sometimes work, sometimes not.

I don't think it is a cache issue, but a history issue. Something is occasionally telling the browser that the page I was previously on is the same as the page I am now on. Websites sometimes do this deliberately - although why they want to annoy visitors is beyond me. A page which auto-updates itself can sometimes do this, although in this case it would be logical for 'back' to take me back to the previous version of the page but this rarely happens.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I've noticed it too. Sometimes I'll click back and I'll see the page I expect then choose another only to find I'm offline. Before when I was offline all page movements would result in a browser message.

Downside, I'm now forever clicking refresh just to make sure. Upside, after typing a long post and almost losing it, I can eventually find it again somewhere. Also better recovery from a power failure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.