Banner ads...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Can you please give more details. The only way that should be possible is if it came from Google Adsense, and they don't do pop ups - we just use standard banners. Statistically speaking, I'd say it's more likely your browser has been hijacked by a 3rd party but a hack of our site is always a very small possibility. Screenshot? More details?

here it is

Attachments

• popup.JPG
    popup.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 88
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It might be worth you clearing your browser cache and running a disc cleanup. I've had floating banners in the past (and on other sites), usually the "your PC performance is poor..." type. It was related to google adsense for me.

If you use more than one browser be sure to clear files for all.

I'm posting in this old thread rather than starting a new one. I just saw this banner ad (I've seen it or something similar in recent days) at the end of the "What is wrong with op-amps?" thread. As a womans undergarmet ad it's only "slightly" inappropriate, but what struck me is it seems badly targeted (unless there's something I don't know about many other DIYAers).

I guess my main concern here is advertisers not getting their money's worth, which could eventually hurt ad revenue for DIYaudio.

diya_bra_ad.jpg

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'm posting in this old thread rather than starting a new one. I just saw this banner ad (I've seen it or something similar in recent days) at the end of the "What is wrong with op-amps?" thread. As a womans undergarmet ad it's only "slightly" inappropriate, but what struck me is it seems badly targeted (unless there's something I don't know about many other DIYAers).

I guess my main concern here is advertisers not getting their money's worth, which could eventually hurt ad revenue for DIYaudio.

View attachment 753661

Any ads you see that you don't recognize, are from Google Adsense. They don't make money if they aren't getting clicks for their advertisers, so there is no incentive for them to poorly target their ads. If you see poorly targeted ads, it means they don't know much about you and are serving very low priced "floor" ads. When you start browsing the internet using incognito mode and start seeing those "You're the 1,000,000th visitor, congratulations!" ads it means you've done well to hide your history and they have nothing better to show you. Perhaps someone with your IP address was once a female, or your computer was used by a female friend who logged into an account of theirs, perhaps you shared a public wifi connection with females, etc.

Sadly, Adsense has no option to disable targeting.

We do have a dozen stalwart private advertisers, whose ads you have seen many times over. You would recognize them all, and I thank them for their continued support. Their ads are shown first, and when they run out, Google Adsense fills the gaps.

I actually have settings turned on to stop those really crappy ads showing up - if the price floor is very low, no ads will show at all. That seems to keep the worst offenders / bottom feeders at bay. Additionally I have every single controversial ad topic disabled (politics, gambling, medical, etc...).

In a perfect world, we'd have lots of advertisers, enough to fill up all our page views, all from the DIY world. Then all you would see is very specific ads for this niche. Once we move to new forum software and I have the ability to build out a better private advertising system this may be achievable, and is certainly the goal.

Lastly of course, you're welcome to donate and become a paid member in which case you can turn the ads off, but that's not meant to be the primary purpose of the donation system.

Last edited:
Can I ask - will you avoid the 'in-line ads' in the new software?

Some forums I visit have ads that are displayed in between posts masquerading as content. It makes it distracting when trying to read through threads with that kind of advertising format.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Can I ask - will you avoid the 'in-line ads' in the new software?

Some forums I visit have ads that are displayed in between posts masquerading as content. It makes it distracting when trying to read through threads with that kind of advertising format.

Whatever is the case in the future I will endeavor to ensure ads are presented intelligently on the new platform, and members have the means to to hide them and customize their experience just as is the case now (eg: memberships) as well as introducing other methods (such as a track record of contribution, etc). Nothing in concrete yet, but stay tuned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.