Server problems?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Over the last hour its been on a 'go slow' with the odd fast page access on this forum, not usual for me unless I'm browsing near diyA's maintenance time.
The tinternets been a little bit slow this last two days for me, most noticeable last night while Sim-Racing with a small grid, some unusually long car/driver pings and much jitter lag from the British drivers, there was also some refresh problems for the remote admins and our 'boss man' had to take the night off from 'just racing' and direct access the servers, some thing our community very rarely has problems with as the servers are UK and have 100mbit up and downs.

Mooly said:
This has only happened since IE11 rolled out and its very occasional and intermittent.
Thats not an IE11 issue,im on IE6 and thats happend to me on some sites before Mooly...... (Its quite a pain isnt it??)

I use MyIE2 to surf with because I like the UI better (More colourful) and it has more features then IE has...... (Ad block,tabs,etc) MyIE2 is an IE add-on...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have had problems for some time also. I thought it was a general Firefox problem, but it seems to be a combination of Firefox and diyaudio in my case. It sometimes takes more than 20s to load a page. Even going back to the previous page takes a long time.
There is a high processor load during this period. I have an i7 3770, so it's not a slow PC. My Internet connection is a 20Mb/s connection.

If I use Google Chrome there is no problem at all. Pages load very fast.

I hope that this problem can be fixed, because I use Firefox as my default browser.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
A couple of observations:

1. When I load a page my PC is using a lot of resources as mentioned before. It even seems to block an ongoing copy operation from a server to a local hard disk.

2. Today I tried to use diyaudio on my work PC. Also a Win7 64 bit with Firefox 25.0.1. On this PC it works OK. Perhaps a little bit slower than on Google Chrome on my home PC, but definitely OK. So it seems like it differs from one PC to another.

On my home PC I have tried to disable almost all add-ons, but with no change at all. So it is still a mystery:confused:

There's obviously a fiendish gremlin encoded with the diyAudio content, :D ... I was looking at this very page a few seconds ago - and my Firefox at that very moment glitched, it just spun its wheels doing nothing for a minute - all contact with the net was lost. Then, mysteriously, normal service returned ... :)

....cue a famous bit of theme music ...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
My PC housekeeping (W7 and IE11) consists of using just Windows own tools and no 3rd party cleaners, not even CCleaner.

Typically the DNS flush is done only when I have a consistent problem on a specific site. Regular clean-ups involve a full disk clean (right click the drive, select properties and then disk cleanup) Tick all the boxes as required (I leave thumbnails until it gets to large) and in W7 also click clean system files. A recent update included a Windows cleanup utility that clears a lot of old update info from the Winsx folder and frees up a lot of space. I do all that once every couple of weeks. I also click "control panel" and "internet options" and that allows you to delete all browsing history and temp files without IE running. Untick "preserve favourites" and tick everything else for a full clean.

If you make a cookie file and save it (easy, only a couple of clicks. Ask if you want to know... ) you can then import that file after a clean and all your passwords and so on are reinstalled.

Finally, I have IE set to delete some stuff every time its closed by adopting these settings.

Attachments

• IE10 Deletion Settings.JPG
    IE10 Deletion Settings.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 86
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Finally, I have IE set to delete some stuff every time its closed by adopting these settings.

Forgot the important bit showing how to set the delete on exit. While we are on about IE I run it in 64 bit mode which is accessed by ticking "enable enhanced protected mode". One of those things that isn't obvious.

I'm posting now from work running FireFox v25 on a Mac. Insanely fast. Pages seem to load instantly.
Ditto for Safari on the same computer. So I don't think it's the server. Unless there is something mysterious going on. :scratch:

Yes, very fast nearly all the time since Jason did those tweaks some weeks (months ?) ago.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 79
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm back over on Windoze XP and FireFox v25. Certainly slower, but that may be the WiFi or the laptop. It can be painfully slow on this machine, but not today.

EDIT: It took 20 seconds to post this. Not speedy
EDIT: and 22 secs to get the edit thru

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.