New bugs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, well, please shoot the person who linked in such a stupidly big image instead of uploading the image to the forum. We will be changing forum policy / process in the very near future to prevent people from linking to external images - it ruins threads for everyone. As for some alt text, maybe that could help - the whole images system is a bit of an outdated mess at the moment.

very few are "ruining threads for everyone"

what about pre-existing external hosted images - I've lots hosted at photobucket, directly linked in posts going back a decade

some may not want to give away copyright images to diyAudio - but allow viewing

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Been unable to connect to the site for a few minutes. I kept trying and refreshing the pages. The "is it down for everyone" check reports instantly its up

After around 4 minutes it connected and I tried the pingdom. That showed things a bit slow.

(Problem first noted around 8.10am gmt. IE10 W7 x64)

Edit... I meant 8:10 BST

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
very few are "ruining threads for everyone"

what about pre-existing external hosted images - I've lots hosted at photobucket, directly linked in posts going back a decade

some may not want to give away copyright images to diyAudio - but allow viewing

The main problem is threads having enormous images breaking them and link rot - we will find a solution. The problem is the functionality of the forum being broken, either from images vanishing when the hosting service they used goes down or from images that aren't resized effectively.

Totally understand the copyright issues - people who want to retain copyright could create textual links to their images if they so desired. No biggy. But the forum has to look good and work effectively.

Jason,

Everything is OK now. Thanks.

P.S. No linking to external images. videos etc. seems like a good idea.

Great to hear.

can't get to his blog.

I get klang?

The forum has worked this way for several years (usernames with non a-z and space). I know it's not ideal. I am in the processing of seeing if we can fix this :)

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Been unable to connect to the site for a few minutes. I kept trying and refreshing the pages. The "is it down for everyone" check reports instantly its up

After around 4 minutes it connected and I tried the pingdom. That showed things a bit slow.

(Problem first noted around 8.10am gmt. IE10 W7 x64)

Edit... I meant 8:10 BST

Thanks for the bug report. I did see this blip and associated performance carnage. The good news is that 90% of the time now everything is smooth sailing. Once or twice a day things are jamming up - this could be many reasons, but I'll track it down....

agreed, Jason, I had many of the issues posted in this thread yesterday too, thought it was something at this end initially as I didnt see any other reports from people when I looked here, then all of a sudden it was fixed again, didnt like lazy loading. but now mate, the forum is really flying performance wise, finally its not making my 100Mbit cable and i5 into a dog, waiting to load tiny amounts of data.

so thanks for the hard work mate!

I also found for a while I was getting crosshairs instead of an arrow for pointer, but thats fixed too. however I have also read that this could be linked to recently safari (dont always use it but this release is fast) and apple not supporting adobe pdf view in the browser anymore since the legal issues between the companies, so since it wasnt working correctly I removed the plugin and its back to normal, so we'll see I guess. was this a problem you noticed too? I didnt specifically notice if it was fixed straight after removing the adobe plugin from safari or not

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/dvb-projekt/

try this link.

Klang Projekt does not have a blog yet.

Hi Merliner. Please refer to my previous reply to you about this. Thank you very much.

In other news, I have disabled the member list temporarily while I determine if it's responsible for the intermittent forum lockups. vBulletin has some very slow running queries to do with querying the member list and if several people are browsing it at the same time it looks like it has the ability to create some nasty locks affecting the whole forum.

After a few days the member list will be re-evaluated.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Im on 1 site Jay that RESIZES the images into a little window REGARDLESS OF THE SIZE and if you wanna see it full screen,ya just click the window of it.... Maybe that would work good here :)

Heya. Which site? If the resizing is done locally with javascript etc, that sucks. It means people are having to download (for example) a dozen 5MB images and have their browser resize them for them on the fly. Horrible.

If you're suggesting a solution where the server pulls the images from the remote site, stores them on its hard drive, then creates thumbnails for them, and then deletes the originals in case the OP wanted to retain copyright (and do they want copyright over the thumbnails?) that also sucks (legal issues, getting the diyAudio server to navigate a remote system, possibly get its IP banned, all kinds of various problems to do with things being outside of our realm of control).

I think the only decent solution is to ban the display of all remotely linked images and make diyAudio's image uploader something to be proud of (I know, it is sucky at the moment on many levels - that's going to change).

If people want to link to their own remotely stores galleries using a link, that's fine. However, they should take into consideration how many old posts around here which used self-hosted or 3rd party image hosting services are now full of broken images - not good for anybody...

Last edited:
Well for now if members do not wanna see large images they can goto thier USERCP and uncheck "Show Images (including attached images and images in code)" It will then just show a link to the image......

This site has an option in USERCP where members can set the size of image resize :)

[url]http://forums.bit-tech.net[/url] (VBB)

Yes I just tried it and it goes to that other user!!!

I even tried going directly TO YOUR MEMBER # and the same thing happend!

www.diyaudio.com/forums/member.php?u=121030

But when i goto a PM link IT WORKS CORRECTLY!

www.diyaudio.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=121030

Or search for all threads you are active in!

www.diyaudio.com/forums/search.php?do=process&showposts=0&u=121030

Seems your profile is corrupted somehow.... That other members user # is 2187!!

Quite strange!! (Maybe Jason can fix things)

EDIT:

This works correctly also

www.diyaudio.com/forums/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=friend&u=121030

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Lil knight: For several years, we've used VBSEO, and it breaks the profile pages of members with "special characters" (non A-Z, or underscore) who have a "namespace clash" with other members. At that same time we stopped accepting usernames with special characters to prevent any future clashes. Older members who still have special characters we are dealing with on a case by case basis to find a solution for them.

One path is to change their username. Either removing the special character, or changing it to an underscore. That will fix the problem.

Another path is to delete the "other" user, if they are not active on the forum anymore (say within the last 5 years) and never posted.

I have been waiting for a response now from VBSEO for over a week, as have apparently lots of other people - it seems their support department has gone AWOL. I'm still waiting for a response to see if there's something else we can do.

Lil knight / DVB Projekt - To fix this right now, we can either change your username (remove the special character or replace it with underscore) or look into the other names your name clashes with. I'll still be waiting for VBSEO to get back to me to see if there is another way around it.

UPDATE: Apparently the owner of VBSEO has had a car accident and that is why tickets there are not being answered. Hopefully we'll have a suggestion from them shortly.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.