Unexpected outage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Forum Problems

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Default Unexpected outage

About 4 hours ago, while I was sleeping, our regular web server shut down / was replaced by the generic apache web server. I'm currently trying to work out what happened.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Gyuri is offline Gyuri  Hungary
diyAudio Member

sucks
Old 28th May 2013, 10:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Administrator

Ok looks like "while you sleep" caretakers of our managed server detected a problem, logged in 4 hours ago, and then restarted the wrong apache.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

I'll certainly be making sure that doesn't happen again.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
About 4 hours ago, while I was sleeping, our regular web server shut down / was replaced by the generic apache web server. I'm currently trying to work out what happened.
Gremlins

Regards zeoN_Rider
Old 28th May 2013, 03:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Administrator

The hosting company's monitoring service detected that port 80 was not responding on the server. I'm currently trying to find out if that was the case or a false alarm. Things appeared to be going swimmingly up until a point and then everything dropped to zero. It could well have been a teething problem in the new setup. I'm going to be investigating that and monitoring things closely as time goes on.

When that happened, one of their techs logged in to save the day, but didn't follow their standard operating procedures which included instructions on how to properly restart the web server (this was documented 2 years ago when we last had an issue). A sequence of other non SOP events unfolded from there, resulting in the site being down for 4 hours. The host has taken full responsibility for their failure to following SOP and promises this won't happen again in the future. I'll be taking proactive steps to "future proof" things so even if SOP is not followed in the future, it will be hard to bork it up again.

Sorry for the downtime.

Other than this very consequential "glitch", the server is coasting along at record low load averages and serving up pages faster than ever. Hopefully it stays that way, I'll be baby sitting things in the meantime...
Old 28th May 2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

tnx Jason

we are grateful for your good work
Old 28th May 2013, 06:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Administrator

Case closed.

Various things have been implemented to make this (more) idiot proof next time round. Here's hoping!
Old 29th May 2013, 12:12 AM   #8
zany is offline zany  Australia
diyAudio Member

It's a real problem when 'idiots' are managing server farms... :-(
Old 29th May 2013, 12:28 AM   #9
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

I think if the computers used tried and true 75 year old tube technology there probably wouldn't have been an issue...but noooo...those computer geeks think transistors are more reliable.
Old 29th May 2013, 02:15 AM   #10
Johno is offline Johno  Australia
diyAudio Member

I live on a farm and we use electric fencing to keep the cattle on the correct side. About 10kV but very low joules.
Works really well, one individual tests the envelope and gets a zap and the rest of the herd learns from the squeal and respects all fencing for the next few weeks.

I have thought about introducing similar "learning" tools at work but the health and safety people tell me there are a number of issues and will not let me. Wonder if the issues apply to contractors too?

Hide this!Advertise here!