Please tighten up on threads in the various forums - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Forum Problems

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2013, 06:49 PM   #21
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
I think as a thread starter you should be willing to moderate your own thread somewhat.
I think this is the best approach. I think it can be a matter of style - some like a tight thread, some like a bit of socializing along the way. If the thread starter is generally accepted as the 'moderator' for the thread then people can create threads in the style they like. Others will then know where they stand and what to expect from a thread and how their contributions should be composed. People will be able to 'vote with their feet' by contributing to those threads which are to a style of their liking and ignoring those that aren't. At the present time, I'm not sure that anybody attributes the thread-opener with very much authority over the style of the thread. It didn't use to be this way, when I first joined the forum I felt that the thread starter had more control than is evident today.

I wonder if there are some tools & powers that thread starters could be given that would allow them to exercise a bit more control and discretion. Not something as powerful as a real Moderator. Perhaps all it needs is a guideline for people using the Forum to bear in mind that they should defer to the thread starter in matters regarding staying on topic. On the other hand, I can see how this could turn out badly...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 25th February 2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 25th February 2013, 07:14 PM   #22
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
On the other hand, I can see how this could turn out badly...
Oh yes, indeed.
Old 25th February 2013, 08:54 PM   #23
benb is online now benb  United States
diyAudio Member

I saw a recent post/thread that bothered me - I won't bother to look up the exact thread, though this should describe it well enough. It was about a "tube mic pre" and thus 'correctly' posted in the Tubes section, but when I looked at the schematic, I saw it was one of those solid-state preamps with a tube stage for its effect/distortion. Furthermore, the apparent problem the OP was having with it wasn't in the tube stage, but in some of the other (rather large amount of, for a mic pre!) solid-state circuitry. And yes, I didn't do my part - once I saw the story, I should have hit the Red Triangle and asked it to be moved to a more appropriate section, though admittedly this was a hybrid device and the "tube" part was what made the device special.

This thread is indeed one of the more amusing ones on the board, OTOH humor isn't the main purpose of the board.

I do think an OP has a little "ownership" of the thread. If one asks (totally theoretically, of course) "How can I get X to work in my lab setup?" there may well be those who say "forget about X, you should use Y," but I'd at least be in favor of (if one actually has the knowledge about X) "You can get X to work doing such-and-so, but have you considered Y? I sure think Y works better here." But then one may get defensive OP's saying "I need help getting X to work. I'm aware of Y and its advantages, but I really just want to use X here."

I'm on a big writer's forum (AbsoluteWrite) and in the "writing games" section the OP indeed does get to specify the rules of the thread - not with any extra technical help, but with backup from the Real Moderators.

This brings up yet another, perhaps unrelated and off=topic point - I recently saw a thread title something like "I need help with a Mod on this" and I thought the OP meant he needed a forum moderator, but no, it was about a modification of some device.
Old 25th February 2013, 09:00 PM   #24
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
This brings up yet another, perhaps unrelated and off=topic point - I recently saw a thread title something like "I need help with a Mod on this" and I thought the OP meant he needed a forum moderator, but no, it was about a modification of some device.
I noticed that too
Old 25th February 2013, 09:51 PM   #25
pdul is offline pdul  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Its all about love and silicon, and the amount of passion used to mix the two
Old 25th February 2013, 10:04 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

If a thread is becoming unbearable then I just unsubscribe from it.
There is a link to do this at the bottom of every DIYAUDIO email I get.
Old 26th February 2013, 09:47 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
For the sake of clarity, when I said
Quote:
I think as a thread starter you should be willing to moderate your own thread somewhat.
I didn't mean give the OP basic moderators powers on his thread. I went on to say

Quote:
To say thank you for the interest but ask that the superfluous stuff be discussed elsewhere as your enquiry has not been answered, much as you would steer a conversation back to the topic from a digression. Its possible to steer a thread back without resorting to name calling
If someone genuinly wants help or to discuss an idea (and has searched thoroughly) it is somewhat up to the OP to navigate the thread - otherwise how seriously can we take initial query? You cant realistically expect the second post on the thread will be the complete unalterable answer to the question

Take our OP here for example. He makes a complaint but has not been seen for 4 days despite new 26 posts and several email reminders from the forum itself
Old 26th February 2013, 12:26 PM   #28
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

it should stay as it is, open debate, allow people to mederate their own threads and we will end up with stale, regulated discussion with only the OP's viewpoint preffered, 1984 anyone
Old 26th February 2013, 02:11 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Or don't feed the trolls.
Old 26th February 2013, 02:28 PM   #30
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

ehh...I would like to 'rephrase' it a bit to saying;... try not to support offtopic posts

with that I mean to say that offtopic posts is not a big problem, and also impossible to avoid
the actual real problem begins when other members starts to follow up and pursue it

respect the thread topic, and the members posting there
thats about all there is to it

Hide this!Advertise here!