Please tighten up on threads in the various forums - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Forum Problems

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2013, 12:08 PM   #11
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Guys you are walking a fine line here, and these last two posts could easily be pulled under the commenting on moderation rules.

I've done something that I hopefully won't regret. I've restored abrax's post removed the moderation comments from the thread, and re-opened the thread. (abrax's post was deleted as colateral as it contained a partial quote of one of KlipschKid's deleted posts. This is standard moderation practice. if someone quotes a deleted post it gets pulled as collateral damage.

Tony.
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Can anyone else see the irony in the fact that it took less than 10 posts & we're no longer discussing the OP's original issue?
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:13 PM   #13
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Old 23rd February 2013, 12:21 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
Guys you are walking a fine line here, and these last two posts could easily be pulled under the commenting on moderation rules.
My 'go figure' wasn't intended to imply dissent from your decision Tony - rather to encourage KK to reflect on whether his 'professional foul' approach to getting what he wanted was actually effective. For myself I found it rather ironic that his behaviour had the effect of pushing the answers he sought further away...
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:34 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamikl View Post
I have no problems with the layout etc. of this site. I did however stop coming here for over a year due to the difficulty of following the various headings or types of forums. Classic examples are the amplifier forums where somebody comes up with a simple idea but 350 plus entries later nothing is recognisable anymore and the thread has meandered all over the show. Another example is the speaker forums. Example, thread about best 8"full range speaker which is still current. I haven't counted but it seems that very few of the speakers mentioned are 8". One is even 12". Another which is put forward as an 8" has an area of 147sq.cm whereas most 8"speakers are between 210 and 220 sq.cms.

I hope this is not an ego problem where people are just trying to say I know more than you so there! I know a little, not a lot but I have not been able to build anything because there is just too much tripe to wade through.

Right, got that off my chest and yes, I do feel better for it!!!
jamikl
I have seen my fair share of forum posts jacked by some people bickering in some irrelevant manner about which is the best impedance and why they know more than the other forum poster...

My new GU50 SE (all pentode)

I would like to add that anger is just misdirected passion and maybe some forum posters should just leave and get a room somewhere.

And depending on how spirited they are and who is doing the off-topic discussion, you can either ignore them or just go in and tell them to take it somewhere else and start a new thread. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (see previous link).

And at the rare occasion, all this back and forth of insults and ideas can lead to new and interesting insights on a build or schematic.

If it gets fully completely badly off the rails and nasty (mention of a poster's Class A heatsink being inversely proportional to their size of manhood), then definitely notify a Mod. The Mods can't be everywhere, but the Mods are responsive.
Old 23rd February 2013, 01:03 PM   #16
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

that's nature of the beast

if one wants exact tutorial , best place for finding it is library (good luck with that ).
if one wants to take and keep control over thread , he must be most clever guy in it

moderation is about keeping things civilized , not strictly about meat of thread ; for having that later - we would need expert dedicated to each thread/forum ...... and soon it will be one guy playground

so - there is no other thing than to live with all democracy fruits ; it's much better than
15 or 20 years ago , when learning new things was much slower , if not harder
Old 23rd February 2013, 02:16 PM   #17
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamikl View Post

I hope this is not an ego problem where people are just trying to say I know more than you so there! I know a little, not a lot but I have not been able to build anything because there is just too much tripe to wade through.

Right, got that off my chest and yes, I do feel better for it!!!
jamikl
I'd say it is partly ego, partly inflammatory comments, and partly people simply not taking time to read what is written.

Even in this thread you can see how people react to other's comments and post something that, should someone respond to it, would descend into pointless bickering; something that is ruining this site as you have seen.

The problem is, if you don't respond, people continue to think their views are right because you didn't argue with them; and if you do, you add noise.

I have chosen both paths; neither is a solution. I found only one way - tell the person very directly that you don't like them, you don't need their help, and even if your house was on fire, you'd rather they keep on walking; and you want them to ignore everything you post in future.

Unfortunately, then they post an inflammatory and off-topic comment about what someone else has said, and that person can't control their ego... and so off it goes again.

Noise. Why allow it ? More arguments = more traffic. It's the only explanation I can see fits. And how's that for an inflammatory comment ? I'm sure to get an argument going no ? Will it result in anything of benefit ? I could care less. I'm the proverbial rat that's leaving...

Old 23rd February 2013, 02:35 PM   #18
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschKid View Post
I'd say it is partly ego, partly inflammatory comments, and partly people simply not taking time to read what is written.
Yep, that's pretty much it. I think a lot of us hurry thru the posts, don't read them all and then reply to what we "think" was said or was the topic. A lot of replies are to OT comments, which leads the thread even further afield.

When I, as a mod or a member, suggest that we get back on topic - there is usually a great gnashing of teeth and cries of "but this is interesting!" or some such. Most members just don't want to stick that close to the topic. As Pinkmouse says, we like to tinker.

I find it just as frustrating as you, maybe more so. But I have to note that in the few threads I've started myself, this has not happened. My threads tend to be factual and to the point, not open ended questions or imaginary projects. So they tend to stay well on topic. Probably makes them boring, tho.....

Quote:
More arguments = more traffic. It's the only explanation I can see fits.
No. You are thinking of Audio Asylum. Here we tolerate argument as long as it does not break the rules, but we do not encourage it. People disagree, nothing wrong with that - and we can learn from it.
Old 23rd February 2013, 03:27 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
I think as a thread starter you should be willing to moderate your own thread somewhat. To say thank you for the interest but ask that the superfluous stuff be discussed elsewhere as your enquiry has not been answered, much as you would steer a conversation back to the topic from a digression. Its possible to steer a thread back without resorting to name calling

If you want every post checked & censored the internet is not the place for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschKid View Post
And how's that for an inflammatory comment ? I'm sure to get an argument going no ? Will it result in anything of benefit ? I could care less. I'm the proverbial rat that's leaving...
If you couldn't care less, why do you continue to post? You are one indecisive rat

Is he gone yet?
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:14 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
if one wants to take and keep control over thread , he must be most clever guy in it
I submit the most clever guy would not be one that wants to take and keep control over a thread.

Something no one has suggested is that it may be useful for responders to answer the OP question, and then include the answer they want to give to the question that wasn't asked.
Simply expounding on turntable B as reply to a question about turntable A doesn't make much sense. I'm certain it's a minority occurrence, though.

Hide this!Advertise here!