Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Forum Problems

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2013, 02:24 AM   #11
Jason is online now Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

The correct way to copy a link is to use the link in the post number at the top right of every post. Right/command click on that and away you go.

If you use a link which has a page number in it, that is going to be relative to how many posts in a page the personal clicking the link has set in their options. Because everyone can have a different number of posts per page set in their options, it's pointless to try and send someone to a specific page number. [Insert analogy about number of steps, different size legs or length of gait, etc..].

The only universal way to link to a post is to link to the post itself, not the page number that you happen to be seeing it on due to your posts-per-page setting.

If I'm missing something or there is some other bug, let me know.
Old 18th January 2013, 04:03 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Jason,

Some browsers do not forward you automatically to the correct page to compensate for a custom post/page. IMO the bug is in the browser, I posted my 'hack' that I use often because I know that removing the page number from the link does tend to work more often with those browsers. I've never been able to replicate it myself but I have a hunch the browser causing problems is IE.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 19th January 2013, 12:26 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I did just notice something else too. The URL used by the forum software in the hyperlink generated when someone quotes a post does not include any sign of the page number that this post is on, it only refers to the thread name and unique 'post id'.

Chris
Old 1st February 2013, 05:32 PM   #14
Jason is online now Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
I did just notice something else too. The URL used by the forum software in the hyperlink generated when someone quotes a post does not include any sign of the page number that this post is on, it only refers to the thread name and unique 'post id'.

Chris
Correct. You should never use URLs with page numbers in them, and never post them. They exist *solely* for *your own* navigation purposes (and providing you don't change your own posts-per-page setting).
Old 1st February 2013, 06:56 PM   #15
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

To repeat the edited portion of my most recent post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
ETA: Okay, BOTH of those worked for me just now. I suspect there's some Javascript stuff going on, as I don't always have it fully enabled.
I consider this a (mostly) settled issue - links DO work, though the BBS does some extra work and forwarding to the "correct" post when page numbers are different, and all the Javascript stuff has to be enabled to do that. I surf with NoScrip running in Firefox to try to keep viruses and stuff away, and it sometimes stops "normal functionality" of websites as well.
Old 4th April 2013, 09:09 PM   #16
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi
Been struggling with this issue in the Subwoofers section, Single Sheet TH Challenge thread today Post 1928 and onwards. None of us seem to be getting the right links to refer to other posts. Would someone check it out?
The links generated in the first post seem to have the same format and works for me.
h-t-t-p://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/170771-single-sheet-th-challenge-74.html#post2509736
Is this related to not having Javascript enabled?
Regards Xoc1
Old 6th April 2013, 02:16 AM   #17
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoc1 View Post
Is this related to not having Javascript enabled?
Regards Xoc1
Yes, I'm 99% sure that's the problem.
Old 16th July 2013, 03:02 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
It is not a bug, it is just insufficient understanding of the link structure of the forum.

If you look at a post you will see a number in the top right corner -- the post number of the thread. It is a link to that same post. If you command-click on that you can copy the URL of that specific post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The correct way to copy a link is to use the link in the post number at the top right of every post. Right/command click on that and away you go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I consider this a (mostly) settled issue - links DO work, though the BBS does some extra work and forwarding to the "correct" post when page numbers are different, and all the Javascript stuff has to be enabled to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
If I'm missing something or there is some other bug, let me know.
I'm afraid that yes, you are all missing something.

Firstly, the link that is created when clicking on a post # in the top-right of a post does have the page number embedded in the URL, if the post in question is not on page one of the thread.

For example, in Bob's Power Amplifier Book Thread, if I hover over the link at the top-right of post #4066, the link I get is:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/171159-bob-cordells-power-amplifier-book-82.html#post3563342

So, this post resides on page 82 for me, because I've got the forum set to show me 50 posts per page rather than the default 20 posts per page.

If you give this link to someone set to 20 posts per page, and their web browser does javascript properly, they should indeed ultimately end up in the correct place. The browser first goes to page 82 and then realises that post id 3563342 doesn't reside there and then some javascript kicks in and figures everything out.

HOWEVER, if someone who is set to 20 posts per page also hovers over the post number link in the top-right of post #4066 in Bob's power amplifier book thread, they will get this link:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/171159-bob-cordells-power-amplifier-book-407.html#post3563342

Now, if that is given to someone who is set to 50 posts per page, the link might not work, because, for them, page 407 doesn't exist and this confuses the browser/javascript. On my computer with the forum set to 50 posts-per-page, the above link does not work in Safari or Omniweb (I just end up at the top of my page 82, which is post #4051) but it does work in Firefox.

If the number immediately preceding .html in the above links (the page number) is removed, both URLs lead to the same post, regardless of web-browser and post-per-page settings. It would be good therefore if the forum's automatic link-parser (enabled by default), when parsing URLs and changing them to proper links when a user submits their post, would remove the page number from URLs before turning them into links.

Thank you for your time.
Old 16th July 2013, 07:26 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper
Those links all work for me Andrew.
Yup they work for me also in IE..

The first points to reply #69 and the second points to the start of thread
Old 16th July 2013, 08:06 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yup they work for me also in IE..

The first points to reply #69 and the second points to the start of thread
Er? Andrew posted three links.

hochopeper posted two links, both of which should go to the same place.

So if you're talking about hochopeper's links, they did not work for you because they should have both led to the same place.

Hide this!Advertise here!