diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Forum Problems (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forum-problems/)
-   -   Site slowdown (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forum-problems/227203-site-slowdown.html)

gpapag 6th January 2013 07:40 AM

Site slowdown

The last three days entering the site and page loading takes time. Today it has worsened (2-3 minutes delay)
On the lower left site of the screen I see :
waiting for cdn2.dastatic.com
and sometimes :
transferring data from google-analytics.com

I experience these delays only on this site. What’s wrong?

George

Mooly 6th January 2013 07:42 AM

At this minute the site is normal to me (quick). I do notice slow downs particularly around 7pm (gmt) where it can take around 30 or 40 seconds to action anything.

Never seen that text you quote. Using W7 x64 and IE9

Don Hills 6th January 2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpapag (Post 3313030)
On the lower left site of the screen I see :
waiting for cdn2.dastatic.com
and sometimes :
transferring data from google-analytics.com

The page being loaded contains links to tracking and statistics applications on the sites mentioned. At peak periods there can be delays contacting those sites because there are so many sites that use them.

Mooly,
He may be using Firefox, which displays such messages in the status line at the bottom left of the browser window.

gpapag 6th January 2013 11:38 AM

Thank you guys
I am hacking illiterate.
I use K- Meleon being a fast and lightweight browser (close to Mozilla and Firefox). I know that it is old and not updated anymore but I have no issues so far. (XP Home (x32))
The delays with our site is equally long when I use Microsoft Internet Explorer v.9 and I see the same messages at the lower left screen corner (status bar).
From 08:45 (Greenwich time) the delays are very short -a few seconds-which is normal. Earlier in the morning, delays were huge.

George

Mooly 6th January 2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpapag (Post 3313198)
From 08:45 (Greenwich time) the delays are very short -a few seconds-which is normal. Earlier in the morning, delays were huge.

George

The site goes off line for a few minutes at 8.00 gmt daily for scheduled "maintenance" and after that for a while things do run slowly.

kevinkr 6th January 2013 03:10 PM

I have the same problems here, delays not quite as long, but it can take > 30 - 60 seconds to load a single page, and sometimes they never load. I see the same sources of delay as George.

Pano 6th January 2013 03:16 PM

Ditto here. And sometimes I get double posts. Reply takes a long time to appear, then it's double. I think that's during the maintenance times.

Jason 7th January 2013 05:25 AM

The site does go down for about 2-3 minutes (it used to be longer!) daily for maintenance. That's the minimum time needed to back up the core databases, and it's better to just shut up shop during that time. In the following 5-20 minutes various other backup processes run which can slow the site down but don't require it to be shut down totally. The CDN and Google Analytics slowdown indicates issues with our CDN, or your DNS or ISP, which is probably out of our hands to do anything about. Occaisionally there is the odd graphic on diyAudio.com with a dead link to a server that doesn't exist and that specifically can cause a long hang, but I was pretty sure all those dead links were cleared a long time ago. If you manage to get a full URL for an image that is just "hanging" do let me know (please post it in a specific thread on that topic).

(I've moved these posts on the site being slow from the other thread they were posted in)

gpapag 7th January 2013 06:44 PM

Jason
My wishes to You for the New Year.:hohoho:
Thank you for the post moving.
I thought that one of these urls was something malicious. Apologies for my ignorance.

George

Jason 8th January 2013 06:02 AM

Not at all - please let me know if it continues to be a problem.