Site slowdown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Google Site Speed has reported no major changes in the page speed characteristics of the site recently.

I will see what can be done to get things improved - right now we have a very high Page Speed - 96 / 100, we use Amazon's CDN for all static content, and I don't see too much room for improvement on the current hardware / software combo. I'll do some housekeeping and reboot the machine (it's been up for a year) and see if it blows any cobwebs out of the system.

Attachments

• diyaudio-sitespeed.png
    diyaudio-sitespeed.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 173
  • diyaudio-sitespeed - hourly.png
    diyaudio-sitespeed - hourly.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 176
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I nearly posted something last night about this...

I've noticed this slowdown at times and can confirm that when this happens (such as last night) that if I sit and watch (and refresh) the main index to see the latest threads, I find that the notifications to threads I am subscribed to slow down too. Normally a notification is received within seconds of a post going live but when the slowdown occurs the notifications were taking up to 5 minutes to appear in my inbox.

Don't know if that helps or is significant or not.

Mooly said:
I've noticed this slowdown at times and can confirm that when this happens (such as last night) that if I sit and watch (and refresh) the main index to see the latest threads, I find that the notifications to threads I am subscribed to slow down too.
Hi Mooly..

I have also noticed the site is a LITTLE BIT SLOW and i have scripts DISABLED so its probably faster for me than it is for you.... Try Disabling "Active Scripting" and you should see a big improvement on the site.......

Alot of sites I am on have been having all kinds of issues the last few days,very strange stuff going on!

I find that when I'm getting really cruddy response, it helps a lot to disable javascript in the browser.

Particularly annoying is when my browser's "hanging", and the status bar tells me it's waiting for googleads, googleanalytics or daststic.com. Sometimes I can view the page source and see that the entire page has loaded, right down to the </html> tag, but the dang browser won't render anything because it's still waiting for something I don't care about and never comes. Then I switch off javascript, refresh the page and it comes up in a jiffy.

Maybe it's time to update my software too - still using Firefox 3. :eek:

Joined 2000
Paid Member
The server is definitely (confirmed) experiencing intermittent slow downs, caused by the CPU usage spiking. One minute it's fine, 5 minutes later it's overwhelmed. It appears to be database related. Over the next week I'll be doing various things to try and find the culprit. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
We have been making methodical changes to the server to address the occasional performance issues experienced over the last month. So far progress has been good, server load is now back to levels pre-April, we are continuing to make improvements over time. Thanks for your patience.

(Please note this is a dual quad core server, so server load should always be under 8 to avoid process traffic jams)

Attachments

• server load.jpg
    server load.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 121
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Andrew, I assume the google analytics is to do with the advertising engines... dastatic is one of Jason's domains. Could be for the images on the site, though I'm not sure of that, as I had to allow javascript from that domain for something to work properly (but can't remember what it was, possibly the menus along the top of the screen)...

DastaTic.com - Dasta Tic

Tony.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Why do Members have to wait for Google analytics to download?

The Google analytics code is asyncronous meaning it works in the background and does not (should not) delay page loading.

Dastatic? Is that needed by Members?

Why are these external links needed at all?

Static image content (images that do not change / are not dynamic) is, arguably, best loaded from a domain other that the cookie laden primary domain of a website (we use dastatic.com, as opposed to the main domain of diyaudio.com). This is best practice to make things ever so slightly faster.

Cookies would normally be included in all the request headers for a website. On a typical website with a few hundred images on the page, that's a lot of extra data. Using an independent domain, which has no cookies at all, results in a few less byes being sent per request. While you'll find if you're using a modern browser, most small images on diyAudio are actually embedded in the HTML to save requests using the "url:data;base64" format, there are still plenty too large to use that embedded format and they were possible should be coming from datstatic. Or from Amazon Cloudfront via cdn(x).diyaudio.com.

I find that when I'm getting really cruddy response, it helps a lot to disable javascript in the browser.

Particularly annoying is when my browser's "hanging", and the status bar tells me it's waiting for googleads, googleanalytics or daststic.com. Sometimes I can view the page source and see that the entire page has loaded, right down to the </html> tag, but the dang browser won't render anything because it's still waiting for something I don't care about and never comes. Then I switch off javascript, refresh the page and it comes up in a jiffy.
Why do Members have to wait for Google analytics to download?
Dastatic? Is that needed by Members?

Why are these external links needed at all?
I had to allow javascript from that domain for something to work properly (but can't remember what it was

FWIW: Javascript is a resources burner, specially because it can be called from somewhere else and bring poorly coded script.
Yet disabling all of it at once makes for incomplete or impossible navigation.
I use the NoScript add on for Firefox, which lets me choose.

Just now, I'm navigating this page with no problems at all.
Enabled: google.com , diyaudio.com , dastatic.com
Blocked: google-analytics.com , googlesyndication.com .

Works like a charm :p

Try it :)

when my screen hangs waiting for a response from DIY audio, I see in the bottom left corner
waiting for dastatic, or waiting for google, or javascript.
There are many others but they are not nearly as frequent.
But the sum of all these "waits" is a long delay in loading a page.
While the page is still loading I can scroll to a section, but as soom as the next piece of info has finished loads the scroll returns to the bottom of the page. If I scroll again the same reset happens.
It's better to wait for all the "waits" to complete and then scroll back through the two or three new posts. BUT that can be a long WAIT.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.