Site slowdown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The last three days entering the site and page loading takes time. Today it has worsened (2-3 minutes delay)
On the lower left site of the screen I see :
waiting for files.diyaudio.com
and sometimes :
transferring data from google-analytics.com

I experience these delays only on this site. What’s wrong?

George

On the lower left site of the screen I see :
waiting for files.diyaudio.com
and sometimes :
transferring data from google-analytics.com

The page being loaded contains links to tracking and statistics applications on the sites mentioned. At peak periods there can be delays contacting those sites because there are so many sites that use them.

Mooly,
He may be using Firefox, which displays such messages in the status line at the bottom left of the browser window.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you guys
I am hacking illiterate.
I use K- Meleon being a fast and lightweight browser (close to Mozilla and Firefox). I know that it is old and not updated anymore but I have no issues so far. (XP Home (x32))
The delays with our site is equally long when I use Microsoft Internet Explorer v.9 and I see the same messages at the lower left screen corner (status bar).
From 08:45 (Greenwich time) the delays are very short -a few seconds-which is normal. Earlier in the morning, delays were huge.

George

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
The site does go down for about 2-3 minutes (it used to be longer!) daily for maintenance. That's the minimum time needed to back up the core databases, and it's better to just shut up shop during that time. In the following 5-20 minutes various other backup processes run which can slow the site down but don't require it to be shut down totally. The CDN and Google Analytics slowdown indicates issues with our CDN, or your DNS or ISP, which is probably out of our hands to do anything about. Occaisionally there is the odd graphic on diyAudio.com with a dead link to a server that doesn't exist and that specifically can cause a long hang, but I was pretty sure all those dead links were cleared a long time ago. If you manage to get a full URL for an image that is just "hanging" do let me know (please post it in a specific thread on that topic).

(I've moved these posts on the site being slow from the other thread they were posted in)

Last edited:
My suspicion is that it's a Javascript problem. Poor writing of this code in websites means that the browser spins its wheels doing nothing, while loops in JS code madly whirl, going nowhere. While entering text in the posting box the JS machine almost grinds to a halt, each letter is painfully added ...

I'm using an old version of Firefox, 7.0.1.

Frank

Joined 2002
Paid Member
What happened today?
Did we invoke any Powers against our site?
From UT 07:25 till 07:50 site’s page wasn’t loading.

K-Meleon browser message:
“Connection Interrupted
The document contains no data.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.”

IE browser message:
“Oops!! This page appears brocken”

(The brake due to daily maintenance was from UT 08:02 to 08:06)

George

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I noticed a glitch this morning when suddenly no pages were loading. Just a white screen with the spinning globe at the top. It would be around 7.30am ish (gmt).

Closed and reopened browser and all was OK again.

The site does go off-line daily at 8.00am (gmt) for around 3 minutes for maintenance but still shows a diyAudio page.

Looks normal here *but* I use Firefox with NoScript plugin, which by default blocks *all* JS but then enables the ones you allow it to.
FWIW at this very moment the check screen tells me I *do* have JS script enabled for DIYaudio (obvious ;)) , google-com and dastatic-com (whatever that is) but is BLOCKED for:
googleanalytics <-- those friendly chaps that "analyze" your behaviour :eek:
googlesyndication <-- who kindly offer "personalized" ads, based on above
jquery <-- who probably also track your behaviour

I'm certain wasting no CPU time on them sure helps for smoother navigation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.