Site slowdown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now I am getting this too often.
The connection has timed out

The server at www.diyaudio.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Now I am getting this too often.

I've never seen anything that but don't use Firefox.

When speeds are "normal" I find everything I click opens or actions in around two seconds. When things are slow it can take up to 50 seconds. There seems no real pattern in when these slowdowns occur although having said that I never experience them during the AM (gmt) period.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Today morning I need to wait for more than 4 minutes for the site pages to open.
Disabling Java scripts makes no difference
Changing browser, no difference.
(Isn't the main body of USA been sleeping now?)

George

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Sorry for not being around this week - I've been horribly sick (even a trip to hospital) but am now on the mend. Several steps have been taken to smooth out the server load and many more are to come. Currently the server is not "spiking" as it was, and I'm laying an extensive web of logs and graphs to put effort where it's needed most.

As is always the case, sometimes if you're having problems they are just localized problems. I'm going to find out the addresses of some other websites located in the same data center so you can try to connect to them when you're seeing problems - that way you will know if the problem is with diyAudio or something outside of our sphere of control.

I was due to do a major database server upgrade last Monday, but lost the whole week.. I'm just starting the process of getting back on top of things now.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sorry to hear this Jason. My wishes for fast recovery.:)

If there is of any use for understanding the location of the problem, these very long delays I reported today lasted for many hours. From 07:00 UTC till 20:00 UTC.
There were no delays with other USA sites I visited.
Now accessing our site pages is very fast.

George

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Still going... :) But we've made a lot of progress - two major database upgrades (MySQL 5.0 -> 5.1 -> 5.5), a PHP upgrade (5.2 -> 5.3), cache upgrade, and lots in between, all with various complications... Several things were put off for years because vBulletin couldn't work with the latest versions, but it can now, so time to move forward. Certainly looking forward to a drink :) Something things that were incompatible still need fixing (Eg: Mail)... working on that... hopefully the results are worth it..

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I should point out a caveat - there is still a remaining issue to do with having lots of users online at the same time which is common to vBulletin 3 and 4 and may drag us down if we start getting a lot of people online at the same time. There's only one way to find out how that will pan out - I'm sure we will find out when we send the next newsletter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.