Site slowdown - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Forum Problems

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2013, 08:37 AM   #21
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Google Site Speed has reported no major changes in the page speed characteristics of the site recently.

I will see what can be done to get things improved - right now we have a very high Page Speed - 96 / 100, we use Amazon's CDN for all static content, and I don't see too much room for improvement on the current hardware / software combo. I'll do some housekeeping and reboot the machine (it's been up for a year) and see if it blows any cobwebs out of the system.
Attached Images
File Type: png diyaudio-sitespeed.png (31.1 KB, 144 views)
File Type: png diyaudio-sitespeed - hourly.png (32.2 KB, 145 views)
Old 4th April 2013, 08:47 AM   #22
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I nearly posted something last night about this...

I've noticed this slowdown at times and can confirm that when this happens (such as last night) that if I sit and watch (and refresh) the main index to see the latest threads, I find that the notifications to threads I am subscribed to slow down too. Normally a notification is received within seconds of a post going live but when the slowdown occurs the notifications were taking up to 5 minutes to appear in my inbox.

Don't know if that helps or is significant or not.
Old 4th April 2013, 09:07 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

It was not too many days ago there were news reports here of denial-of-service attacks between some spammers and anti-spam internet watchdogs. At unprecedented levels. It was said the volume of traffic could slow the entire web.

edit: Here's one news link on the story.

Last edited by sofaspud; 4th April 2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 7th April 2013, 06:04 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly
I've noticed this slowdown at times and can confirm that when this happens (such as last night) that if I sit and watch (and refresh) the main index to see the latest threads, I find that the notifications to threads I am subscribed to slow down too.
Hi Mooly..

I have also noticed the site is a LITTLE BIT SLOW and i have scripts DISABLED so its probably faster for me than it is for you.... Try Disabling "Active Scripting" and you should see a big improvement on the site.......

Alot of sites I am on have been having all kinds of issues the last few days,very strange stuff going on!
Old 14th April 2013, 12:46 PM   #25
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Never known the site so slow, yet yesterday was flying at about 2 sec connect time from gmail links......today 30secs!!
Old 14th April 2013, 12:54 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

another reporting slow behaviour...response has dropped considerably over the last month, but the last week has been almost unusable...I've dropped in casually a few times to have a look and then steered away after a long wait without getting any response......by long wait I mean a minute or two.....must be at the impatient age.

Ed
Old 14th April 2013, 01:20 PM   #27
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I find that when I'm getting really cruddy response, it helps a lot to disable javascript in the browser.

Particularly annoying is when my browser's "hanging", and the status bar tells me it's waiting for googleads, googleanalytics or daststic.com. Sometimes I can view the page source and see that the entire page has loaded, right down to the </html> tag, but the dang browser won't render anything because it's still waiting for something I don't care about and never comes. Then I switch off javascript, refresh the page and it comes up in a jiffy.

Maybe it's time to update my software too - still using Firefox 3.
Old 14th April 2013, 01:53 PM   #28
diyAudio Administrator

The server is definitely (confirmed) experiencing intermittent slow downs, caused by the CPU usage spiking. One minute it's fine, 5 minutes later it's overwhelmed. It appears to be database related. Over the next week I'll be doing various things to try and find the culprit. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 14th April 2013, 02:13 PM   #29
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Thanks JAson....seems excellent just now!
B
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:31 AM   #30
diyAudio Administrator

We have been making methodical changes to the server to address the occasional performance issues experienced over the last month. So far progress has been good, server load is now back to levels pre-April, we are continuing to make improvements over time. Thanks for your patience.

(Please note this is a dual quad core server, so server load should always be under 8 to avoid process traffic jams)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg server load.jpg (20.7 KB, 89 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!