Firefox marked the forum as an "Attack site" [RESOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone else been getting a vibrating spammish popup today briefly after making posts in that space we get the 'thankyou for posting, you will now be taken to your post ...' ?? I havent had any dramas since Jason gave the all clear, but on the inbetween page I get a 2 line ad for screenruler in text actually on the page under that diyaudio message.

thats been normal lately and is one of my plugins, but just this morning a few times i've also had a spam type 'shaking to get my attention' old win98/2000 dialogue box with a couple lines of text, then its vanquished when the page reloads, so I havent caught what it says.

i'll try and get a screen snap now, wish me luck haha.

btw i'm using Chrome 23.0.1271.101 on Mac 10.7.5

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
02 January, 2013, 11:00am Indian Standard Time.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 165
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
To everyone who has posted that they are using Firefox and have seen this message - please see this announcement:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/site...ox-causing-intermittent-malware-warnings.html

Considering that this is caused by a bug in Firefox 17 not updating its cache properly, I imagine that if you didn't want to upgrade to Firefox 18, you may be able to resolve the problem by deleting the Firefox malware cache somehow (possibly by uninstalling, then reinstalling), or following the advice here:

Clearing Firefox Malware Warning | Central Web Services | Oregon State University

which describes finding and removing the urlclassifier3.sqlite and urlclassifier2.sqlite files.

If anyone tries this advice and has success, do let us know and we can close this thread.

its not the plugin one thats a concern, thats been normal for a while and is actually on the page and allows me to disable it if I like. the one thats a concern just happens to sneak in at the same time, when the page is refreshing after i've made a post and is not on the window itself, but a popup the type that shake violently and present in an old looking win32 type window with a button to press, I havent seen it today.

i'll keep trying to capture it in a screen snap and let you know. I have very little trouble with popups so I noticed this one.

There is no need to run all scared towards Chrome, which isn't the most private and is questionably the most secure browser, especially when Google comissioned the study.

Have you guys heard of Bitbox firefox 4 ?

Free 'Browser in a Box' Runs Firefox 4 with Ultra Security | PCWorld

Browser in the Box-Download | Sirrix Aktiengesellschaft

Safer Than Sandboxing

BitBox's security derives from the fact that the browser runs in a virtualized environment using VirtualBox 4.04 and a hardened implementation of Debian 6 Linux. The included browser--Firefox 4--then runs in a separate virtual machine with its own operating system, keeping it completely separate from the rest of the user's system.

Unlike the simple sandboxing system of standard browsers, in other words, BitBox runs a completely separate guest operating system and keeps all browser activity isolated and away from the base operating system.

Downloads, cut-and-paste capabilities and printing are all kept secure; only a shared folder is in the base operating system, accessible through a separate user account. Uploads, meanwhile, are not enabled, nor is Internet access through the base operating system.

Perhaps best of all, each time the browser is restarted, it gets reset to a certified boot image, thereby eliminating any malware that might have gotten through in the previous session.

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
We just took care of a new warning which affected just one thread on the site. This was the detection you see as dated 1/1/2013. Image files hosted by audiopower.it had been hacked on the audiopower.it server, and one thread on our site contained images from there. We've now deleted that entire thread.

It looks like there is a whole spate of hacking going on right around the web at the moment and a lot of sites are suffering collateral damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.