Can the logged-in timeout duration be lengthened? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Forum Problems

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2012, 12:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Can the logged-in timeout duration be lengthened?

I posted this a few years ago. I have not been back in a while. I may be a little unusual in the length of time I use to craft, proofread, and submit a post. It's rare that I manage to get it done in time before I'm met with "you don't have permission.... you must be logged in".

If you're accustomed to it, it's still an irritation at worst. If you are not accustomed to it, as I have having been away for a while (i know of no other forum that logs users off so quickly) it often leads to confusion and a REALLY irritating loss of 10 minutes worth of work.

I was so irritated that I initially put in the wrong username. After the second attempt the forum programming no longer posted my efforts, but dumped me out in the forum section I was trying to post to. I could no longer click back to my original post.

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH.

Yeah. Save next time. Don't take so long to post. Use your correct username and spelling and password. Etc, etc.

Why not just make the login timeout twenty minutes at least? Does it save that much bandwidth?

Am I the only one that gets burned by this?
Old 5th October 2012, 03:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Just use the 'always keep me logged in' feature ticked. If it's a matter of security that you be logged out when you're not at the machine, then simply log out after your session. I understand your frustration, I've been burnt by the auto log out before too and on the old software I do believe the auto log out was a lot longer then it is here. Lengthening it though would probably still result in people being burnt unless it was something ridiculous like a couple of hours and would then not really serve any useful purpose.

If it is only 10 mins, then I do agree, it would make more sense to extend that to 30 mins, but it wouldn't be a complete cure all.
Old 5th October 2012, 04:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

write your lengthy response in Word, edit for as long as you like, then cut & paste.....
Old 5th October 2012, 04:56 AM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I never see this problem, because I check the "keep me logged in" button.
Some forums have an auto-save function that saves your text every few seconds. It's a great feature that we will probably have here in the next forum software upgrade.
Old 5th October 2012, 05:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I never see this problem, because I check the "keep me logged in" button.
Are you referring to the "stay logged in" button only available when logging in?
I'm pretty sure that I always check that. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll have to pay more attention. Thanks for the heads' up on that.
Old 5th October 2012, 10:56 PM   #6
Simon B is offline Simon B  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As an easy backup, just in case, hit Control-A (select all), and Control-C (copy to clipboard) immediately before you hit 'Submit Reply'.

If things go pear-shaped at the server end, at least you've got it on the clipboard, ready to paste back in with Control-V.

But as others are saying, get the 'keep me logged in' checked, and you should be ok.

Hide this!Advertise here!