Bug: Link to posts forwards twice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi i think i have discovered a bug that causes some problem for some people under currently unknown circumstances.

When you create a link to a post it include the page number which is dependent on your personal settings which means that the page number you are looking for will wary.

When i click on this link for example i first get transferred to page 32 (with my settings) and then since post #365 doesn't exist there i get transferred again to page 13 where it finds post #365.
This is a problem if someone has software which block automatic forwarding since that will leave the user at the wrong page...
Link to page 32, post #365

So in order to fix this the page number should just be ignored when clicking on a link, and target the post directly. This is hopefully an easy fix for the admins...

Edit:
For more information check http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...-lme49830-lateral-mosfets-52.html#post3049718 and forward

Last edited:
QRikard you just beat me to it :)

A fix for all this would be to stop the page number being inserted into the link.

Ie, get rid of: -32.html

From right clicking on a post's number in a thread and selecting 'copy link location' :

....solid-state/196932-wire-amp-class-ab-power-amplifier-based-lme49830-lateral-mosfets-32.html#post3053243

Is there any reason why it needs the page number in there as well as the posts unique identity?

Last edited:
Tried removing the page number in the link before but that didn't work i must have removed some thing else as well because it works now.
Then i get transferred to the first page and forwarded to the correct post. This must be a better way in the long run since it's hopefully less problematic and at least people won't end up at a completely random page if the second forwarding doesn't work.

Cheers guys for creating this thread, links all seem to do the double forward for me but I've had a few people tell me that links I post don't work for them even when I copy link location from post number which I think is the correct method.

I'm interested to know at what end the problem really lies.

Just a wild idea, since you are sent to the page first and that might not exist at all if you have different settings compared to the person who created the link so that might cause the second forwarding not to happen and leave people stuck.

Worked for me now, i tried to go to page 5000 and ended up at page 53 (last page) and then got forwarded to the correct post.

Removing the -32.html is not working for me now. I don't know why. I don't know how it worked earlier. I give up now. :confused: :(

Aha, so it's not just for me it doesn't work every time
I understood your comments before but it didn't make any sense because it seems so random when it works and not. That's why i was trying to figure out why and under what circumstances the problem appeared in the first place...

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'm pretty sure this is a VBSEO setting, but I can't see any way to change it. I haven't upgraded VBSEO in a while, so I'll allocate some time to bring it up to date and see what options the latest version has to control this, or it might even just fix the bug outright.

I'm pretty sure this is a VBSEO setting, but I can't see any way to change it. I haven't upgraded VBSEO in a while, so I'll allocate some time to bring it up to date and see what options the latest version has to control this, or it might even just fix the bug outright.

Thanks that is highly appreciated, don't understand the details but that's okay ;)

BTW another note, we found one more bug. If the moderators remove posts from a thread (with 49 pages) which makes the last page of the thread become 48. Then more users post relevant stuff so it comes to page 49 again, then some users will be unable to see page 49 at all even if you have a direct link to a post which is on that page. Instead you get transferred to the previous page (48).

I don't know what triggered this for some users but i fixed it by adjusting the number of posts per page. If it helps this bug appeared at this post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...-lme49830-lateral-mosfets-41.html#post3058486
#1621 was the first post to disappear for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.