60 day 'Cool Down' (study?) period before newbies can post a new thread?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wouldn't it be helpful in reducing the number of ill-conceived and over-exuberant, naive threads if DIYAudio newbies were required a 60 day waiting period before they could start their own thread? Perhaps one could encourage them to catch up on some studying during this phase?

seriously?!
I think it's rational to assume that before someone posts/asks has done a bit of reading/research. Do not forget that not everyone is an expert in every field.
I think also, it is safe to assume that NO question is "ill-conceived and over-exuberant, naive".
Of course, if you find one's post insults your intelectuality you may simply not respond.
(I think I missed an "l" somewhere..)

Hi,

Naive questions are not the problem. More the problem is when it seems the
OP knows very little, those that think they know more, but actually don't
know a reasonably definitive answer to the question, chime in with opinions.

There are loads of threads I simply can't be motivated trying to help, its a
lost cause, and its not the OP, its the respondents replies, not the question.

It should be obvious a 60 day waiting period is a stupid idea, like a stupid
question. Whatever the problem it intends to fix, it doesn't, because its
a leading question implying an answer, without analysis of the "problem".

rgds, sreten.

A 60 day delay is silly. However, it is also silly for a newbie to post a question on a DIY audio site asking about the "best" commercial phono preamp/line stage/equalizer for his commercial system, or to demand that people do his 'DIY' design for him and then get tetchy because nobody gave him unlimited free consultancy within 12 hours.

We could start by banning (or ridiculing) certain words in thread titles: 'ultimate', 'best ever', 'perfect' and similar meaningless adjectives. If people post an SRPP (why is it always an SRPP?) and ask for help designing it but we then discover they struggle with Ohm's Law and would not know a load line even if it poked them in the eye, then we should gently send them off to read RDH4 or M-J or Valve Wizard.

We could have a separate area for questions with no DIY content (apart from opening a box and plugging something in). We could also have an area for really daft threads - this would avoid the cries of "censorship" when they were deleted by the mods, even though this would be the sensible thing to do. You know, things like
"Should I buy this 200W per channel Chinese valve amp I saw on ebay for $35?".
"If I p**s on my cables will it improve bass response?"
Even worse "Yesterday I accidentally p**sed on my cables and now bass response has improved; you should do the same to yours".

The difficulty is how to welcome newbies, however daft their question, but discourage morons and trolls!

Threads that are going nowhere die quickly ( my own ) . I think it is self regulating . Also the ideas of the young are often better but unformed . Young can also mean new to it .

SRPP . I am studying it right now . I am told it can work but seldom is used correctly .

Last edited:
Guys guys one moment please....
I believe this is going too far.
DF96, I agree that posts like that exist (in every forum on every subject), and I agree that someone might be annoyed...
BUT why not simply ignore these kind of threads?
Anyway, the least we can say is that in any case no harm is done.
What Andersonix suggested, I find insulting and banning words feels like censorship...
Did anybody in this forum born with knowledge skills and experience planted in his/her brain?Do you remember your own first questions when you started playing around with electronics and audio?I remember mine. Quite idiotic I recall. But like a wiser guy once told me, there is no such thing as an idiotic question.

Last edited:
" A drunk comes up to an Oxford professor and pointing to his wrist says " What time " . The prof looks appreciatively to the sky and says " What a good question " and walks off .

I was in the bank in Oxford one day when a Don at the top of his voice asked the teller why money had arrived in his account . Oblivious to all of us he said . " Oh my goodness I have retired and it's my state pension " . That is a true story .

Understanding people is hard .

If you want to talk ridiculous posts then this one tops my list. The idea of banning certain words or having a new person wait 60 days is totally stupid. People come here to learn. Do we tell them that they aren't welcome unless their IQ is 140 or they have two or three engineering degrees? Hell, I'll be the first one then to add their name to the list of people that are not qualified to belong there. :h_ache:

The problem with nonsense threads is that they consume time and bandwidth, and there is always the chance that an innocent newbie might think they are serious threads. This happens. Newbies often quote nonsense they have heard here or elsewhere, then seem surprised when we say it is nonsense. They seem to think that if lots of people are saying it then it must have some basis in fact. Before long 'rubbish' and 'truth' get treated as two valid opposing sides of an argument. Maybe they have been too exposed to democracy and insufficiently exposed to science?

I know there are points we debate. I'm not talking about that. Arguments between people who generally know what they are doing are fine. What frustrates me is people who have never met Mr. Ohm but still think they are qualified to argue about the merits of one circuit design over another on the basis of something they read but did not understand on some other website or a nonsense thread on here. If we ignore them then they will get quoted by someone else in a few weeks time, and so it goes on.

If you want to talk ridiculous posts then this one tops my list. The idea of banning certain words or having a new person wait 60 days is totally stupid. People come here to learn. Do we tell them that they aren't welcome unless their IQ is 140 or they have two or three engineering degrees? Hell, I'll be the first one then to add their name to the list of people that are not qualified to belong there. :h_ache:

IMO you are right and wrong.
Banning words, 60 days waiting time, it won't work.
People come here to learn, right, but here is part of the problem in my opinion.
I remember having watched this site for years (and learning quite a lot) before registering and posting.
It seems that many posters don't feel the need to find answers themselves (mind you: about everything is to be found on the www) and learn at the same time, but rather find it easier to put their question on whatever forum in order to get the info they need to solve their problem.
Clear examples IMO are all questions related to Ohms Law, and the always returning questions on impedances.
Maybe it has something to do with generations (yes I am past 60). Getting instant info from whatever place to solve problems seems normal practice nowadays; the urge to understand the process and learn from it (and find answers to problems) seems to vanish.
But maybe this is a gross overgeneralization :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.