Posting images

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys.

Not so much a problem, but just something which I can't figure out, maybe an age thing?

Anyway, how do I post images so they show up as "attached thumbnails" and not just attachments? For example, in this thread, I attached 2 images (2nd post down) but they are not the same as everyone elses. What am I doing wrong? I can only see the option to attach any old file, not specifically images that show under a title "attached thumbnails" and use the magnifying thingy.

I hope that makes sense, cheers!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
When you hit 'Post Reply', go down till you see 'Manage Attachments' and grab it from your hard drive. It will show up like this:

Attachments

• IMG_3679.jpg
    IMG_3679.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 155
No, still an attachment, no thumbnail. An idea. Here's an attachment inserted, as before.....

NE5534_internals.gif

Now, what happens if I 'insert image', using this button?

Insert Image Button.gif

I get a dialog box requesting the url of my image:

Insert Image dialog.gif

I had to put the image above in as an attachment....do I need to put the url into that dialog box as something like

file://E:\Electronics\diyaudio_threads

Though that surely isn't 'Uniform' to anyone other than me? Or am I missing something very obvious here? Probably.

I would like to get the magnifying glass though. Most people seem to manage to get it ok, their pics appear in a box labelled "Attached Thumbnails". Mine don't.

Last edited:
Use the paperclip icon above your reply or scroll down and click on "Manage Attachments".

If using the paperclip, only use it to upload the image. DO NOT then click on the name of the image to get the

I get a dialog box requesting the url of my image:
[/QUOTE]
Bad idea. That's if you want to link to an image that's hosted somewhere else.

Attachments

• prnt.JPG
    prnt.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 131
  • prnt2.JPG
    prnt2.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Your are getting warmer - getting warmer - just a little bit more and you will have it.
At the bottom of the text box you will see a "button" (icon) with the words "Go Advanced" on it. Click on that button and a new and more expanded window will open up.

In a 2nd lower window you will see a button icon titled "Manage Attachments". If you click on that icon a new sub-window will pop-up and allow you to browse your files for the image you would like to upload.

There are some limits as to the size and type of image to upload so take a look at that to see if your image is suitable. I prefer to use JPEG.

I hope you find this helpful!!!! :D:D:D

Attachments

• diyaudio text screen image.jpg
    diyaudio text screen image.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 134
I have actually been replying via the 'Go Advanced' button ever since I figured out that was how to avoid having my post come out as one long paragraph, but it's only more recently that I've put pics up.

Anyway, cautious use of Paperclip:

Done, let's see.

Attachments

• NE5534_internals.gif
    NE5534_internals.gif
    14 KB · Views: 134
Ah! That's it!

I only used the paperclip to do the initial upload - ie to get the manage attachments box up - didn't do any attachment.

Now I'll have a look at the Manage Attachments button in the Additional Options box below where I'm typing now. Ok, used that to attach one file. Now I use the paperclip to open the Manage Attachments window and add another file, without clicking on anything other than Manage Attachments under the paperclip.

Previewing the reply, I see the link finger, not the magnifier, try posting.

Edit: They still come through as thumbnails ok.

Attachments

• SC Treble Boost Circuit.jpg
    SC Treble Boost Circuit.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 43
  • NE5534_internals.gif
    NE5534_internals.gif
    14 KB · Views: 42
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ah! That's it!

Edit: They still come through as thumbnails ok.

I wuz under the impression that you wanted them to come up as thumbnails - sorry about that!!! :D:D:D

If you want them to come up as an image then they need to be at a server that can be addressed - say photobucket or youtube or something of the sort. Then you type in the URL address as text and it should come up. Watch out for how large the image is - some folks load a huge image to the file and when it comes up it can be HUGE - so do watch the size of the image to which you link...:D

The large images can be nice to look at - but for people with slow connections they take forever to load. They will throw stones at you and key your car and bite your dog for that sort of thing....

Thank you both for your help

It seems that it doesn't matter whether a reply is started with the 'Post Reply' button, or the 'Go Advanced' button. Similarly, the 'Manage Attachments' window can be invoked with either the paperclip or the 'Manage Attachments' button further down the reply page.

The key point is that clicking on the filename shown under the paperclip causes attach tags to appear in the body of the reply text where it's being typed, and the magnifier to be lost. If a file has been uploaded, it will appear in the Attached Thumbnails box under the text of the reply.

Attachments

• Keeping the magnifier.gif
    Keeping the magnifier.gif
    63.4 KB · Views: 60
I wuz under the impression that you wanted them to come up as thumbnails - sorry about that!!! :D:D:D

I've probably failed to be clear enough, you were right first time, I do want thumbnails, with a magnifier, as opposed to thumbnails that link to the full size picture at a different url on the diyaudio site.

I was catching myself making ambiguity after ambiguity, and obviously didn't weed them all out.:D:D:D

Joined 2006
Paid Member

Godfrey you will of course by now have reached the conclusion that I am really quite thick, and I can't argue with you. All the information I needed was contained in both your text and your screenshots. But because I opened the second one first, then the first one second, I misinterpreted your meaning.

By way of penance, I've combined your pics into one, for the benefit of any bloopers like myself trying to figure this out in future.......

Congratulations Simon - you have now become the go to guru for how to hook things up!!!! You need to start a Wiki thread about it all and then attach a link here.....:D:D:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.