diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Forum Problems (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forum-problems/)
-   -   Problem w. posting URLs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forum-problems/20595-problem-w-posting-urls.html)

Christer 22nd September 2003 12:23 PM

Problem w. posting URLs
 
I have recently had problems posting long URLs. It seems the
forum software abbreviates the links, so they do not work
anymore.

See thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...586#post239586

posts #6 and #7

Edit:
Well, they same problem apparently happened here to, but
now when I edit, I see that the whole URL to the thread is
present in the source, so it must be either the display part
of the forum software, or (why would I not be surprised :rolleyes: ) Internet Explorer that plays tricks with us.

Anyway, in case you experience no problems, what happens is
that some substring in the middle of the URL is replaced
with "..." which has caused people problems to use the links
I have posted.

AudioFreak 22nd September 2003 02:24 PM

The forum software looks for certain characters to decide where it thinks the end of a link should be (it saves people having to type the url tags) ... some links get totally messed up by this. If you have problems, untick the 'Automatically parse URLs' box and put the url tags in the right spot yourself. Problem fixed.

As for abbreviating links, the forum software will sometimes cut out a portion of the link and replace it with '...' so that it doen't take up so much room on the page but the underlying link is not affected.

Christer 22nd September 2003 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AudioFreak
As for abbreviating links, the forum software will sometimes cut out a portion of the link and replace it with '...' so that it doen't take up so much room on the page but the underlying link is not affected.
Hm, now it does work to click on such links. I hadn't even
noticed the substitution in the links I posted until somone
said they didn't work. I then saw this substitution and tried
clicking one of the links to see if it worked anyway, which
I supposed would be the case. I found that it didn't work, so
I assumed the link to be corrupted. However retrying again
now, I found that it does work, so presumable there was
some temporary error with that web page that instead.
Sorry for that.

AudioFreak 22nd September 2003 02:39 PM

No problem. It's also entirely possible that a moderator fixed the link.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:36 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2