Unread threads display as read

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Occasionally when I go into a forum, it will show that there are no new unread posts since my last visit. But, I can see there are new posts earlier in the day that I have not read because my last visit was the previous day. Am I making sense?

Anybody else having this problem? It is very random but frequent. I am running Win7 with Firefox.

Thanks

Jeff

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've had this problem forever. I've asked about it several times but no one else seems to either notice or care. I can't tell if it does not happen to others, or they just don't use the feature so never notice. BTW, It works fine for me on other forums.

I'll do some more lobbying to get the problem fixed. If any one else is seeing the same thing, please speak up.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Threads are indicated thus:
Bold = New posts since you last visited
Normal = No new posts since las visit
Bold Dim = Browser knows you've been there, forum does not (I think)

If I close the forum (not log out) and come back then everything is marked as read. On many forums this is an optional, but not here. I prefer threads to remain unmarked unless I've read them or marked them "All Read." This may be an option that needs to be turned on somewhere in this forum software.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Apologies for not getting to this sooner.

I've done some investigation and the admin has a section that might be the cause of this:

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type
This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.

Options:
1) Inactivity/Cookie Based
2) Database (no automatic forum marking)
3) Database (automatic forum marking)

Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

FYI, we are using the first option. We have plenty of CPU power spare, so if you would like one of the option options, let me know.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Jason. Either 2 or 3 would work for me. I don't mind having to manually mark a forum as read, as long as posts don't get marked without reading (option 1)

Even if Inactivity time was set to 6 months or a year in Option 1, that would also work for me.

Let's see what others say.

I would go with option 3. I like automatic, when it works the way I expect it to work. Also, I have not had any issues with the site being slow. Not sure if this a user specific setting or if it is something you have to change for everyone. I am willing to help test if it is done at the individual user level.

Thank you for taking time to look into this.

That explains it, I thought I had browser problems. COUld the inactivity filter be set for something small like 20 minutes?

WHat happens to me is I visit the forum, and find all the unread threads indicating as such. Then in some thread, I read, do some research and compose a lengthy post, and by the time I actually post it, maybe 20 minutes have passed, and when I go back to the menu list, all the remaining unread ones are now shown as read. I then must continue by reading the date and time for each to see what would have been unread.

Other options preferable to me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.