Slow, slow, slow

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
After consulting with our server guys, there doesn't appear to be any standout reason for the problems. Our traffic jumped through the roof and apache seemed to bork for a few hours, but the server was able to weather the problem out by itself. We'll keep a close eye on it..

Bear in mind that a significant amount of the extra traffic could be people like me clicking on a link again when nothing seemed to happen the first time i.e. some of the traffic is a symptom, not a cause.
+1
Sometimes (even on a 'normal day') pages 'hang' while loading, so I'm in the habit of hitting the 'Reload' button.
I ended up with a double post in one instance.

Yes, better now. I was going to ask you what time the backups occur, because sometimes it locks users out altogether. Perhaps better than a slow response? It seems that backup time is unpredictable?

PS Spoke too soon, sometimes slow again. Something I have noticed is that if a page is slow to even start loading, so the previous page is still on the screen, the clicking on the link again can sometimes bring up the new page quite quickly. This suggests to me that the first request may have got lost. Are there any input queues which could be overflowing?

With older versions of Firefox I could click on reload and this would sometimes help if a page load got stuck. New Firefox removes the reload button until it thinks the page is complete.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.