diyAudio site not opening correctly...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Lately sometimes diyAudio isn't opening correctly... and whether coincidence or not it can sometime be slow to open or to navigate, something it never ever was.

Three images here. Today when I enter DIY either via my favourites or via a thread notifier link the opening page be it the main page or a thread opens like in image #1

If I click the blank white top left of screen where the big DIY logo should be it does work and take me to the main "home/index" page as it should and often this then displays correctly.

Image #2 is how clicking a thread notifier looks when it opens.

Image #3 show all back to normal just by clicking back and forward buttons in browser. That is to say ig the home page is displayed incorrectly I can just click a thread, then clcik the back button and the previous problem page displays correctly.

No other sites I use are affected.
Running Vista and IE9. I have fully cleared all browsing history/cookies etc and temp files. I also flushed the DNS cache. Problem still remains.

PS,
Problem attaching these images too, never had that before. They didn't show as uploading, it was as if the image box had stopped responding but each time I tried to close it and go back it then showed as having attached. There was no problem yesterday using that feature... strange.

Attachments

• DIY Problem 1.JPG
    DIY Problem 1.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 130
  • DIY Problem 2.JPG
    DIY Problem 2.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 129
  • DIY Problem 3.JPG
    DIY Problem 3.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 125
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Just trying image attach again, I exited IE9 first to clear all.

and I can't get the "manage attachments" box to even open at all now.

Edit...
by going into "edit" for this post that enabled the attach image option to work perfectly

Attachments

• DIY Problem 1.JPG
    DIY Problem 1.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 117
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
And again, it's not working. Took a screen grab and you can see the "attach" box highlighted and surrounded in black dashes but it won't open at all.

Going to post this thread then edit it and see if it works.

And it does instantly...

Dave... thanks for reply. I think something is amiss somewhere. It's between 7.30 and 9am in the UK when it's been a problem today.

Attachments

• Attach.jpg
    Attach.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 119
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
A small discovery... and maybe someone with more knowledge than me on PC's might have some insight.

This was driving me nuts yesterday as the site was becoming un-navigable. More often than not it was all displaying incorrectly, even the drop downs such as "User CP" didn't work... in fact that took me to an empty folder called "new subscribed threads" or something along those lines... no options anyway.

And this seemingly has fixed it and all I did was this... log out and resign back in. From that instant everything on the site has behaved perfectly and opens instantly and all clickys within the site be it threads/forums etc open instantly.

Now I often fully clear my browser and all history/files etc but I always import all my cookies/logon details for all my IE9 favourite sites from a dedicated cookie file to save having to enter everything again. When I do that now (import from existing file) the site is slow and cranky. Use fresh login info and it isn't!

Maybe someone can advise on this... do cookies "expire" or change in some way over time?

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Strange. Looks like the CSS and/or Javascript wasn't loading. That isn't stored on our server, but on Amazon Cloudfront, and should be served from a cloud location very close to wherever you are the in the world. Perhaps DNS issues for the CNAME entries. We're going to be upgrading to more professional DNS hosting in the near future.

I have no idea why logging out and then in again would change things, but great that you've found a solution that will solve the problem in the meantime.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Jason... I'm afraid I don't really understand all the ins and outs of that, just suffice it to say that in my case it certainly seems to be the fix. It had got to taking several seconds sometimes to even just open this last week or two, now it's absolutely instant and all from using fresh login data.

thanks...

Amazon Cloudfront .... Cloud is ** :(Amazon CloudFront Hmmm... $$ per Gb out + $$ per request.

Same "errata" on a large site like intellicast.com , where the various adserver "clouds" won't (or can't) load the content , causing the whole page to either load slowly or not at all.

Most likely Amazon has taken on more traffic (and paying clients) than it's infrastructure can handle :D :) . Same with most ISP's in the USA.

OS

Just trying image attach again, I exited IE9 first to clear all.

and I can't get the "manage attachments" box to even open at all now.

Edit...
by going into "edit" for this post that enabled the attach image option to work perfectly

I haven't seen anything different in Southern Cal but I only use Firefox or Opera. I only use IE if nothing else works (VERY rarely).

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Still behaving itself here. Was faultless all day yesterday (and today) although on the 20th it had a little blip again. Same scenario as before, I deleted all and signed in again. When I posted the original topic it was faulty for most of the day until I did as mentioned in post #5, which was an instant fix.

I admit I don't really understand how it all works in detail so can't really add anything of much help, only to report what happens and what seems to fix it.

The fact that nobody else seems to have the issue is strange... and it was happening at all hours.

Sometimes when I go to a thread the page will start to load and then flicker and start over and over and over.... Today it's doing this on the
new BA3 article. I can go to the first page but trying to go to the next
page and it loads almost all the way then restarts.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Sometimes when I go to a thread the page will start to load and then flicker and start over and over and over.... Today it's doing this on the
new BA3 article. I can go to the first page but trying to go to the next
page and it loads almost all the way then restarts.

We're aware of the reload issue but not sure what's causing it. There is only one page in the BA3 article, though! What are you clicking to get to the next page, and what browser are you using?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.