Downtime today - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Forum Problems

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2011, 07:08 AM   #1
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Default Downtime today

My sincere apologies for the 9 hours of downtime today. When I "improved" the backups a few months ago I switched the write location to the main partition instead of the backup partition and today during the "PST/EST dawn backups" the main drive filled up which linux really doesn't like happening, and it killed the webserver. I was just going to sleep at that time and didn't get notification until I woke up, hence the 8 hour delay in my response.

For the record, our server is monitored and managed by our host, and they did detect the problem immediately, logged in and attempted to resolve it, but weren't familiar enough with the configuration to be able to resolve the problem. We're working with them to ensure that in the future they have enough information on our (rather hardy/secure/locked down) configuration to be able to fix this kind of problem without additional assistance from myself in the future.

As this is the kind of model we're shooting for now (if stuff breaks it gets fixed immediately by the server management company), I guess this was a good real world test, and in this case it failed and again my sincere apologies for the interruption to your service. We'll do what it takes to ensure this can't happen again in the future.

Jason

Last edited by Jason; 30th June 2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 30th June 2011, 07:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jason for letting us know what happened which is more than what other services would do!

Ironicaly I was just on and then went off to do a virus scan and then came right back and then nothing ,so ,I thought that my scanner had messed up something as it has happend to me before.

But by using one of my backup computers I figured that it must have been something with your server,Shooo, WoW I'm glad that you are back online !

jer
Old 30th June 2011, 07:58 AM   #3
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

I was a bit worried as to what happened.
I am illiterate on such stuff (what you wrote sound Greek to me ), but I don’t think it is a bad idea to deliberately program for some regular downtimes in the future, to give us a chance to do some diyaudio real work off-line.

Jason, I am glad that You are back and catering for this wonderful site.
I hope You are doing well.

Regards
George

PS. Against the “common wisdom” here, a few hours sleep each day is a normal activity.
Old 30th June 2011, 12:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Administrator

I just sorted out a few more problems with the revised backup routines which just caused an extended maintenance period, things should be back to normal now.
Old 30th June 2011, 01:45 PM   #5
ptempel is offline ptempel  United States
diyAudio Member

+1 on geraldfryjr's comment. Good to be informed but its ok to have a glitch once in a while. Unlike audio and electronics, I have some experience with being a Unix admin (only over 12 years). Let me know if I can help with anything. Getting the operations team on board will require some documentation. Maybe they have a wiki site for that? That's what I used for the last three jobs to document proceedures and changes. If for nothing else than to remind me of "how it was done."
Old 30th June 2011, 01:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Glad we're back......wish I had a dollar for every time I tried to log on yesterday......I could get a few projects done!
Old 30th June 2011, 01:57 PM   #7
49 - for the 18th time - again!
diyAudio Member

The down time proved to me that I'm waaaaaaay to addicted to diyAudio!!! Man - I wuz Jones'n for my diyAudio!!!! Maybe I should get a life......

Thanks Jason for getting things put right and letting us know what is going on.
Old 30th June 2011, 03:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I second that c2cthomas I am on here more helping others than getting my own projects done!
But thats okay it is what I enjoy doing.
Thanks DIYAudio for everything that you stand for!

jer
Old 1st July 2011, 05:04 AM   #9
diyAudio Administrator

Thanks ptempel for the offer.

Our host now has all the information and our special requirements in case of an emergency, backups are now back on their own partition (rolleyes), I'm getting texts and phone calls if disk space ever gets unplentiful, or the site becomes unresponsive, and our senior admins on here have a direct line and verbal passwords to our host in case of extended drama. It's been a long time since we last had any downtime, hopefully it will be another year or two until the next problem
Old 1st July 2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi Jason,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
My sincere apologies for the 9 hours of downtime today.
Don't worry about it. It's not like DIYA is "business critical".

It's just a "downtime" thing for those who post here.

Occasional breaks are probably a good thing.

You should probably schedule 24 Hour outages every two weeks or so...

Appreciate the hard work to keep everything running and getting things back up to scratch when Murphy strikes...

Ciao T

PS, I remember once nearly 2 Weeks outage on a business critical Mini system, it was the Payroll...

Hide this!Advertise here!