Is this a new Forum Feature ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I always seem to get caught out posting and the message "server performing routine maintenance" page appears (UK time usually around 8am ish).

On long replies I've learnt to copy the message first :)

Happened today and a new (new to me anyway) message appeared on the maintenance page saying my posting had been saved and would be resubmitted in 60 seconds when the server comes back online... and it worked :)

Is that new ?

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I always seem to get caught out posting and the message "server performing routine maintenance" page appears (UK time usually around 8am ish).

On long replies I've learnt to copy the message first :)

Happened today and a new (new to me anyway) message appeared on the maintenance page saying my posting had been saved and would be resubmitted in 60 seconds when the server comes back online... and it worked :)

Is that new ?

Yes, it's a new feature and I'm glad it saved you some heartache :)

We do backups at 4am PST, which is when our largest audience is sleeping.

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
I got this message yesterday.
I reported the incident as requested and then DIYaudio became live again.

I got a reply saying that it was being looked at.

It happened again today.
another message
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

All I am doing is selecting "next" for the next page of a thread.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I got this message yesterday.
I reported the incident as requested and then DIYaudio became live again.

I got a reply saying that it was being looked at.

It happened again today.
another message

All I am doing is selecting "next" for the next page of a thread.

Never seen that Andrew...

Have you tried deleting all temp files and browser files ? A proper full cleanup in otherwords. Also maybe try flushing the DNS cache on your PC.

Mooly, it's not my decrepit computer's fault.

It is the regular maintenance/coffee break during our mid morning hours that is the problem.
It promises to pass on the request after coming back on line and then gets it's self all confused with the stack of pending requests from all the European Members that are having to wait, for a Forum that gives priority to USA Members.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Mooly, it's not my decrepit computer's fault.

It is the regular maintenance/coffee break during our mid morning hours that is the problem.
It promises to pass on the request after coming back on line and then gets it's self all confused with the stack of pending requests from all the European Members that are having to wait, for a Forum that gives priority to USA Members.

Hi Andrew,

It sounds like the "security token" (likely a cookie, or a variable passed into the url to ensure that the person viewing the website is being served the correct "view" of the information) isn't being pushed through properly in my new "solution". I would suggest that a solution would be to go to any regular page then SHIFT-RELOAD (or option or CTRL reload as your browser/OS requires) to totally reload the page from scratch), which will restore all the tokens.

I'm sorry that I didn't cater for lost PM's in the new maintenance page, it didn't occur to me and thanks for letting me know you had a problem. I'll get our programmer to fix that up.

The server is presently so completely overprovisioned that no possible amount of pending requests from members would topple it, and that's why the page just reloads once a minute or so (to stop request hammering).

In regards to intercontinental priority, the server is currently based in the USA, however we use Amazon cloudfront as much as possible to ensure DIYers from around the globe get the fastest possible access speeds, and I have spent much time optimizing the website and delivery stack to provide the best possible service to all countries.

If you are a regular user of the forum, you might care to set an alarm to let you know the forum is going to go for maintenance. I plan on implementing that as something that pops into the header just before maintenance occurs actually, but you could get by with a regular alarm on your phone until then.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.