annoying auto log-out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just spent considerable time writing a very long reply to a thread. I logged in before I started, but when I went to post my reply, the system had logged me out, and when prompted to log-in again, I lost what I had written. I was really 'up on my soap box' during that time, and I'm not sure I can re-write it with the same enthusiasm, thereby depriving your readers of my information, insight, and wit (ha ha).

How can I avoid this problem? I have noticed the site logs me out after a very short time.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Good advice from DaveG... and I also if typing a long reply "live" as it were have got into the habit of running the cursor over the message box and "copying" just in case :)

I have never been logged out though even when taking a long time although the "green button" on my profile goes out if I take too long replying but it doesn't seem to affect anything and refreshing the page brings it back.

"(I am typically doing this while at work, so must tolerate the occassional interruption for real business). "

That's absolutely appalling... speak to the management about it!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Don't forget to check the "stay logged in?" box

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-08 at 5.11.27 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-08 at 5.11.27 PM.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 75
I get logged out irregularly, even though I have ticked the "stay logged in".

The time out on the search results uses a different time. Often comes back with "no results" even though all I have done is "click" back after reading a post.

As far as I understand cookies have an expiry time, it's possible the one with DIYaudio's stuff in expires and hence you need to relog. Also I guess some PC health programs might remove cookies sometimes with their scans.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Yes, just check the "Stay logged in?" box. It used to be unchecked by default, to make sure people didn't accidentally stay logged in on public computers, but I've changed it to default to checked now, to save the hassle of having to check it manually. People using public computers beware :) The cookie will have a long lifetime, at least a month.

Yes, just check the "Stay logged in?" box. It used to be unchecked by default, to make sure people didn't accidentally stay logged in on public computers, but I've changed it to default to checked now, to save the hassle of having to check it manually. People using public computers beware :) The cookie will have a long lifetime, at least a month.
That does not work consistently.
The software might be looking up different "log on status" data while performing different tasks.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Andrew, it sounds like something is clearing your cookies as part of an automated regular cleanup.
Unless I manually delete cookies I never have to log in. Also I have my cookies (for all my favourite sites) saved as a file so that I can just import them again after doing a full cleanup. Certainly diyAudio doesn't seem to expire.
I think you need to look what is running on your PC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.