diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Forum Problems (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forum-problems/)
-   -   annoying auto log-out (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forum-problems/186676-annoying-auto-log-out.html)

AcoustatAnswerMan 8th April 2011 05:20 PM

annoying auto log-out

I just spent considerable time writing a very long reply to a thread. I logged in before I started, but when I went to post my reply, the system had logged me out, and when prompted to log-in again, I lost what I had written. I was really 'up on my soap box' during that time, and I'm not sure I can re-write it with the same enthusiasm, thereby depriving your readers of my information, insight, and wit (ha ha).

How can I avoid this problem? I have noticed the site logs me out after a very short time.

DaveG 8th April 2011 05:32 PM

Hello
One option is to compose in Word or other program and then copy and paste to the reply window.

Dave

AcoustatAnswerMan 8th April 2011 05:51 PM

Thanks, that idea occurred to me, I guess that's the best way when I'm composing a long reply, which sometimes takes me a few hours of on-and-off work to finish. (I am typically doing this while at work, so must tolerate the occassional interruption for real business).

Mooly 8th April 2011 06:14 PM

Good advice from DaveG... and I also if typing a long reply "live" as it were have got into the habit of running the cursor over the message box and "copying" just in case :)

I have never been logged out though even when taking a long time although the "green button" on my profile goes out if I take too long replying but it doesn't seem to affect anything and refreshing the page brings it back.

"(I am typically doing this while at work, so must tolerate the occassional interruption for real business). "

That's absolutely appalling... speak to the management about it!

Cal Weldon 9th April 2011 12:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't forget to check the "stay logged in?" box

AndrewT 9th April 2011 12:18 AM

I get logged out irregularly, even though I have ticked the "stay logged in".

The time out on the search results uses a different time. Often comes back with "no results" even though all I have done is "click" back after reading a post.

5th element 9th April 2011 12:18 AM

What Cal says, I have never been logged out on my personal PC and by never I really mean never. I logged in like months ago. Well unless the cookies are cleared, but then I know why etc because I cleared them.

5th element 9th April 2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewT (Post 2532432)
I get logged out irregularly, even though I have ticked the "stay logged in".

The time out on the search results uses a different time. Often comes back with "no results" even though all I have done is "click" back after reading a post.

As far as I understand cookies have an expiry time, it's possible the one with DIYaudio's stuff in expires and hence you need to relog. Also I guess some PC health programs might remove cookies sometimes with their scans.

Cal Weldon 9th April 2011 12:21 AM

I forget to log out sometimes and come back the next day still logged in.

Jason 13th April 2011 03:50 AM

Yes, just check the "Stay logged in?" box. It used to be unchecked by default, to make sure people didn't accidentally stay logged in on public computers, but I've changed it to default to checked now, to save the hassle of having to check it manually. People using public computers beware :) The cookie will have a long lifetime, at least a month.