I find the pages on Diyaudio very slow loading

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi guys. The problems yesterday *might* have been attributed to me doing a heck of a lot of database backups and file syncs. We have around 500,000 files spread across our forum (mainly attachments), store, newsletter, helpdesk and advertising platforms and I've been doing a lot of operations across all of them.

This is all in preparation for two things. Firstly, to get the website into (or partially in) the cloud. The site is about to experience some downtime in the next few hours as I shift things over to our new platform. Over the next week you should notice some performance improvements as we shift all our static hosting and then later image attachments to a content delivery network and upgrade our DNS.

The second reason is that to date our internal file and database structure has been less than ideal for various performance and simplicity reasons. We are going to be doing a lot of development work on improving the site starting very soon, and it was necessary to get everything in order and nicely segmented so that developers can easily access our source code, make improvements, test them easily on a development/beta version of the site locally and remotely, not break things and recover from catastrophic mistakes (which do happen from time to time as is the nature of man).

Cheers!

It's loading fast now but as I type this all the little option boxes for embedding links and such like only show as little question marks, similarly on the home page all thread titles are preceded by little white question marks in a blue box.
Could be just temporarily due to you upgrading things but I thought I'll let you know anyway.

PS: I use Safari on a mac.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Smiley's are now CDN too, that was actually quite tricky!

Thanks for the work Jason, Im sure there is much that goes on behind the scenes.

You wouldn't believe it if I told you how many hours it takes and has been put in (just getting this set up has been two weeks solid of 12-16 hour days), but we're right on the verge of some really big improvements to the site. I know we've been talking about this for a long time, but you'll be reading all about it shortly when I start the official diyAudio blog up... :D

Joined 2000
Paid Member
So.... With the new improvements members will be able to indefinitely edit their own posts, right????

That's a feature not a bug :) If there isn't a long explanation in the rules about why we have that feature, there should be. I'll add it to the todo list. There are plenty of other threads about this topic. I agree it's annoying but it is there for a reason. We'll try to have a win/win solution on this in the future.

It is actualy running slower for me now when it wasn't before. jer

P.S just reporting so you know.
It seem intermittent

Sure - you won't notice any speed improvements until late next week. This was just "setting up for the race". In fact it might be measurably slower while we work some of the kinks out of the new delivery systems. For now the focus is just on fixing any bugs that have cropped up, as lots of stuff to do with file paths, variable file directories and databases has changed.

I do notice that the Cloudfront static files are reloading for me on every page refresh, which they definitely shouldn't - the cache expiry header probably isn't being set correctly...

It has been running bloody slow for me for quite a while now.

It really annoys me to hear that, and we'll be addressing performance issues very very soon with lots of pretty graphs to back it all up.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I do notice that the Cloudfront static files are reloading for me on every page refresh, which they definitely shouldn't - the cache expiry header probably isn't being set correctly...

Now fixed.

Perfection takes a looong time. I think you have a name for it..."Evolution?"

I think we call it DIY ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.