Abnormal load time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
By the way, I tried the link. It came through quickly enough, but none of the pictures were showing.

There were several graphics to start off the thread, and of course they take time to load. So if the graphics work, the thread will take a very long time to load. The forum allows 100Kb per graphic, so 5 graphics mean you are downloading half a meg.

I found that when I tried posting pics from Tripod or Geocities, the graphics would be gone the next day. I wonder if that is what happened here. When graphics show, you have a big, long download. When graphics don't show, you download quickly, but forget about the pics.

The forum does allow you to post pics directly on the forum bandwidth, which eliminates the problem, unless the pics are over 100Kb, which they should not have to be if you use the right graphics file format. Links to other websites carry no limit at all on the graphics size.

SY, I finally caved in and got cable modem from Comcast. Costs quite a bit more than DSL from SBC, but I'm enough of an internet addict that I think it's worth it (plus my wife runs her online business from home, so it makes a significant difference for her). You might want to look into that if you're interested.

I'm actually paying for cable TV too, because that gets you a discount on your cable modem so that the total ends up being $5 less per month than if you were buying only the internet service. The TV isn't hooked up to the cable feed though.

That sucks. They've been rolling out cable modem service in Sonoma pretty aggressively, so I'd expect Napa to be on their radar soon. I had near-56K when I lived in Rohnert Park, then came down to 33K when we moved to Sonoma (that was totally worth it though, no amount of bandwidth would make RP a better place to live in than Sonoma), and finally after 2 years of 33K we have broadband.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.