Lost my reply to a time limitation??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi guys,

I hate to come back here and start with a complaint but I'm pretty frustrated just now.

I spent 2 hours researching a response as I was writing the response and when I went to submit the reply I got some message about being logged in on another page and lost my entire response.:mad:

Is that how this interface works? What is the time limitation on replying to a post?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Shouldn't happen. I don't know what the limit is because I always type my posts in a text editor and paste them into the message box when done.
The settings in your userCP might need a small change (I'm thinking cookies) but I couldn't find these settings myself.
Anyway, good to see you pop in once in a while Rodd. ;)

I concur.
There seem to be different log off times built into the Forum's system.
I regularly lose a response or it asks me to log back in, even though I am currently logged in and asked for it to keep me logged in.

I have lost a few replies and some I do not re-compile.

There is a delay in the system today.
I am getting repeated time out messages from my ISP. The Forum seems to be unable to respond or responds very slowly. It's been like this since my first log in @ ~1000hrs BST.

EDIT!!
It happened with this post. I had to go BACK BACK BACK to find my reply after a time out.

that does not work.
I nearly always use "stay logged in", as stated in post3.
yet I get timed out on search if i try to refresh the search after say 10minutes.
The System thinks I am logged out and says the search is not valid, but when refresh the DIYaudio page it confirms I am logged in and allows me to work as if logged in.
I have to do a new search, but again if I refresh the search, after a time delay, to find later posting, it will again say search criteria invalid.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks for the feedback. We'll look into fixing this finally, and properly, in the next code review.

Until then, my hot tip in the latest edition of the newsletter to use the Lazarus plugin for Firefox should go a long way to eliminating any future frustrations, if you don't mind using FireFox.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I agree with Netlist in post #2 about using a text editor and then do a cut and paste.
This method allows me to go and visit different sites for reference material, compose and edit thoughts etc. without any worries about time outs. As a side benefit I'm not tying up server time while I'm mucking about (which can be a considerable amount of time - at times) :rolleyes:

AndrewT, clear your cookies. I've had users experience this issue as well and that usually fixed it. I had one case where this wasn't fixed by doing and that turned out to be a problem with their windows install.

Also, do you browse from more than one computer? vB has a feature where, if turned on, it will expire your session if you log in from another browser. So if you edit a post on one computer and log in from another it will expire the session from your first browser.

But that only happens if this feature is turned on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.