Using AND operator in search

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
What search terms are you looking for? We are using the vBulletin / MySQL "boolean" search implementation, so AND and OR etc should work.

I believe + and - won't work.

A short notice about this was posted some time ago, which might prove of interest: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/site-announcements/156962-search-improved.html

Full help should be easily accessible from the search menu, of course. And I want to have a search box available on every page without a CAPTCHA (even for non logged in members) shortly. I'm presently in the process of hiring a programmer!

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Um, I'd like to be helpful but I'm pushing from memory.

I often do a search of titles for threads, then change to entire, searching for posts. If I remember correctly, using my browser back button to get back to the search form it would then return only OR results, and would say so in the results page. Even using AND wouldn't override this.

I believe that using the back button to get back to the search page has worked well in the past. Doing this is easier than clicking on search>advanced, and besides, search on the page toolbar is rendered way off to the right in my browser (Opera, X11).

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I just did a search for the words "third" AND "sub". Both these words were considered insignificant and were ignored.

These words were to lead to a specific post I was thinking about and it won't be as easy now. I think that when words are searched for together they become statistically more significant.

Therefore, whilst I understand the desire to prevent the servers doing pointless searches I hope this might be reviewed.

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.