response times

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm no expert on this so forgive me if I'm totally on the wrong track, but "waiting for" sometimes happens on another site I use and clearing the DNS cache always seems to resolve it. Never had an issue with DIY though.

Close IE
In Vista/XP etc from a command prompt (run as admin) type exactly noting the spaces,

ipconfig /flushdns and then press enter.
This will flush the DNS cache.
Then type, net stop dnscache and press enter followed by,
net start dnscache and press enter.

Then try accessing again.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
According to my logs, most pages are generated in a fraction of a second. There's page generation times in the footer.

The url you're describing (anything ending in dastatic) is content that is coming from a dedicated image/static content server (in order to speed up page load times) which should *always* be lightning fast as there is no processing to be done and that kind of server can easily handle tens of thousands of simultaneous requests. I've heard of some people having DNS problems with dastatic, perhaps it's DNS related?

Which browser are you using, and does it help to flush your cookies and cache? And, as mooly suggested, your DNS cache. "ipconfig /flushdns" is a very useful arrow to have in your internet quiver.

Jason

I have flushed the dns as suggested and so far response has been good. I will post details if it slows again, and keep an eye on the page response at the bottom of the page.

the browser is FF version 3.6.

I don't think I would have mentioned it but, no other sites I visit have been slow during the period mentioned, so I thought it might have been specific to diyaudio??

Ed

update:

It slowed again. Waited some time and it responded after about 1 -1.5 minutes. The message at bottom of page said generated in 0.16 seconds...time was 10:47 uk time.

It slowed again at 10:52 so I launched another FF and did some browsing, all sites with immediate response. Returned to the diyaudio browser and it still hadn't responded......diyaudio responded sometime later but I didn't time the response.

Ed

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks Ed. Might be your ISP DNS cache doesn't like our DNS server.

We're currently hosting our DNS with our domain name provider, Enom. They aren't known for providing the best services, so your post does inspire me to move our DNS to a "uber" DNS host. I'll look into that in the near future.

Until then... anyone else having this problem? And is it just the same file, or just always a s1, s2, s(n)...? I've also just restarted that webserver (running nginx), see if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.