"open source" projects need to be done differently - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Forum Problems

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2010, 09:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default "open source" projects need to be done differently

I'm feel these "open source" projects need to be done differently on the site.

They turn into a massive serial string of messages and who wants to read 30-200 pages of discussion just to figure out the project. Then the thread descends into a fight or flame war, which really kills the forum signal to noise ratio!

Is there a better way?

The project spec needs to be written up and maintained somehow, as a living document with group input.
What I would like to do is break up the project's areas (i.e. power supply, output stage, microcontroller, input circuit, theory etc.) into threads or something manageable.

I looked here but the links are not working and it was a good idea?
Leach amp clone Group Buy 12 Output pcb - diyAudio

I'm not sure a wiki would help. Or am I just asking for too much?
Old 1st March 2010, 10:06 PM   #2
db! is offline db!  Canada
diyAudio Member

I agree; there are quite a few designs that I've wanted to try but the fact that I have to dig through 200 odd pages of discussion is a real turn-off.
Old 1st March 2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Getting a properly organized, member contributable projects section on here is going to be THE next big thing for diyAudio. It's coming. Like Pantene. Probably not a wiki, but an entirely custom written system with a focus on joining together the myriad "objects" concerning a project - documentation, threads, pictures, built member projects, ratings, parts...
Old 1st March 2010, 10:25 PM   #4
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

although there is a wiki section too for right now if you want
Old 1st March 2010, 11:24 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
although there is a wiki section too for right now if you want
That is certainly a place to get a headstart...

dave
Old 1st March 2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

if pleasure is main goal , reading through long thread can be hedonist's heaven ; one who is less knowledgeable , so not completely certain in own judgment of myriad facts , always can easily ask proper question on end of the thread .

doing own homework (reading thread as is , with probably all questions already answered) is sign of ( for me necessary ) kudos to main project contributors .

recent (bad ? ) example are few F5 related threads , where we read again and again same all new questions about two bloody trimpots , two source resistors and two voltmeters , which not need to be placed symmetrically ......

not quoting anyone here , just contemplating on subject ; in any case - better organized knowledge map is always welcome .

Last edited by Zen Mod; 1st March 2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 1st March 2010, 11:36 PM   #7
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree wholeheartedly. I have read through a number of threads hundreds of posts long, and that's a lot of dirt to pan through for the occasional nugget. Oh well. Until there are enough people willing to do a start-to-finish documentation of projects under discussion, this will always be the way
Old 2nd March 2010, 01:37 AM   #8
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
Until there are enough people willing to do a start-to-finish documentation of projects under discussion, this will always be the way
You mean like F5 manual

In the end, any kind of questions is what keeps it going
Old 2nd March 2010, 04:07 AM   #9
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi prairiemystic,
Sounds like you have a cool job there. The SCADA stuff must keep you busy!

One great thing about the posts in a development of a project is all the stuff you learn. Everything is there, the whys and hows that explain all the design decisions and board layout. One great example would the the Symasym thread. It really is worth a read. Sure, there are some other things in there, but you can really see how the design came to life. Then you can also follow the project as it matures.

One idea may be to list the bones of a project. Things like expected performance, schematic(s), BOM and all PCB files. Then link to the thread so members can dive in to see what has been tried before. Possibly leave an area where members can reference post numbers to areas of interest for the final project, and other factors or directions one can take. Once a moderator looks over the information, it can be added to the write protected text. This should keep the actual project file trim, but also allow reference to topics in expanded form if someone wishes to dig a touch deeper.

-Chris
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I look forward to a site update that would make projects get driven home easier. If the project's objects (bones?) were listed, that would be awesome! Perhaps a sub-moderator/project lead is needed to put the framework all together.

Historically, forums are great for discussion and knowledge sharing but concentrating the information is getting too time consuming, let alone getting a consensus on a build. I see so many hobbyists working solo and reinventing the wheel on their projects.

PS> What I hate is using a schematic from post #50 when it was revised in post #100...

Hide this!Advertise here!